Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Stolen
- - By JLWelding (***) Date 09-13-2011 00:32
A friend I know had his rig stolen, got truck back but bed was stripped of all tools and Pipe Pro gone. Stolen from the Hilton in San Antonio, and of course the Hilton has no cameras. They told him where to park that they can keep a eye on it. Yea I bet they kept there eye on it. He was telling me he is having trouble with his insurance, saying there not going to insure the welded because it is removeable. DUH  What do you have to do weld it to your truck. They said they would insure the tools, I dont understand that at all.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-13-2011 02:00
He should have told them it was bolted down. It also depends on your policy. His homepwners MIGHT pay part of it but it will be reduced coverage since he was away from home
Parent - - By junkiron (**) Date 09-13-2011 02:33
yup needs to be bolted down
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 09-13-2011 03:52
Alarms with a pager set up is the only way to go.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-13-2011 20:27
He could send serial numbers, pics or description to local repair shops too so if they run across it.  Bolted or welded down still some here had them stolen.  One guy drove all over several towns after his whole rig was stolen and truck found in country in a ditch but welder was gone.  He found his welder sitting in a guys front yard for sale and knew was his and I helped them confirm it because had numbers off his machine from working on it before.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-13-2011 21:06
You are right about still being stolen if they are bolted or welded down. However, It makes a difference in the way your insurance pays off
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-16-2011 21:27
Yes good point it needs to be fastened down but have some info stored away on it will help ID it later.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 09-14-2011 02:46
it has to be attached to the vehicle via bolts,welds or whatever but has to be attached just like stereo speakers amplikfiers or anything else that does not come from the factory already permantly attached to the vehicle. I saw his add on craigslist. It was swiped in san antonio its long gone by now
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 09-14-2011 03:00
Man that's the biggest tool he has. Claim it as a tool.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Stolen