Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / INCONEL Boiler Tube Test. Multi-test. Info Request
- By Cwiwelder (*) Date 09-13-2011 22:41
I'm going back under the hood after a few years and will be required to take multiple heavy wall boiler tube tests in the 6G position.

The tests are as follows.  All tubes are 2.75" diameter with half inch wall thickness, 6G position OPEN root:

E6010 root/ E7018 fill and cap  (SMAW/SMAW)  carbon steel tube
ER70S root/ E7018 fill and cap  (GTAW/SMAW)   carbon steel tube
ER308L root/  E308L-16 fill and cap  (GTAW/SMAW)  stainless steel tube
ERNiCrFe-3 (Inconel) root, ENiCrFe-3 fill and cap  (GTAW/SMAW)  inconel tube

I've taken all of these tests in the past and passed but it's been MANY years since I tested on Inconel and 308 stainless.

Can anyone provide me with test requirements/procedures for Inconel and 308 stainless 6G,  2.75" heavy wall tube tests?  ASME B31 code for power plant is all the info I have at the time and my memory is not what it used to be.  3/32" rod will be used for all the tests.  What amperage for the SMAW rod in both Inconel and 308 Stainless?  I'm thinking around 65-75 amps?  Pre-heat?  Purge procedures for the inconel and Stainless?  Any help refreshing my memory would be greatly appreciated as I am getting older and really need this high paying gig.  This company is a class act and actually wants an experienced welder and they are one of the few I've interviewed with that does NOT look down upon gray hair showing up for an interview.  Thank you for your help.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / INCONEL Boiler Tube Test. Multi-test. Info Request