Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Ferrite content measurement
- - By Ehsan (*) Date 09-14-2011 11:26
Hi
I'm looking for acceptance criteria for the volume percent of ferrite in type 321 stainless steels is there anyone who could help me  find it?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-14-2011 11:54
The acceptance criteria should be determined in the specification that made you measure the ferrite in the first place.
The only codified criteria I can think of offhand is filler metal testing in Section III.
Codes try to stay away from this because it is so variable due to heat input, AND, becasue of the great variability in services.
You do not want too high ferrite in high temp services where sigma can be a concern. You do not want ANY ferrite in cryo services where ductile to brittle transitions might be a concern. Most services appreciate some ferrite for microfissuring. But there may be some engineering criteria where fully austenitic is preferred.
Parent - - By Ehsan (*) Date 09-15-2011 07:34
Thank you very much
Parent - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-15-2011 12:15
look who is here Mr.Ehsan I surprise to see you active here as you know Ferrite Content is defiend theoretically and you can measure that  at laboratory so there will be a table for acceptance criteria.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Ferrite content measurement