Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stud welding to stainless steel
- - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 09-16-2011 04:56
Hello,

Could anyone please help what should be the WPS/PQR variables for such application?
   1) could I use a combination butt weld for carbon and stainless steel specimen for PQR? Butt joint weld specimen so that I could use as well in other weld application for combination weld of carbon and stainless steel.
   2) or should I use the same specs for stud bolts or the stud bolts itself and welded to stainless steel?

I'm planning to use GMAW process for welding of stud bolts to stainless steel but doesn't have WPS yet. Electrode to be used is a stainless steel wire as usual.

Thanks.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-16-2011 07:05
What Code are you using?
Parent - - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 09-16-2011 08:37
I forgot to mentioned, AWS.
Parent - By jcadena Date 09-20-2011 21:19
Hi Mark
First you must know the type of materials you will use at work so the tests with the same or similar material (the same group or similar groups, see AWS), then you know the material of the bolt to see if the same group the material of the specimen, otherwise, you must qualify a procedure for each combination of materials.

attached a link (http://www.inoxidable.com/electrodos_seleccion.htm) that can serve as a guide for choosing the type of filler metal for the combination of carbon steel and stainless steel.
  and as to the parameters, you must perform tests to determine which allow you to better weldability.
You should consider what are the essential variable and apply tests for stud weld.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-20-2011 23:44
There's still another item missing here... it was asked above and not exactly answered.

AWS as opposed to API, ASME, etc is a good start, BUT which one???  D1.1, D1.6, D1.3, D1.8, D14.3, D17.1, D8.1, etc???  There are many "AWS" codes.  And it is a very important factor in knowing how to answer your question.

So, again, which code are you being expected to work from? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 11-07-2011 05:57
Thanks for your answers and comment, though my answer are a little bit late due to work load, but simply I did the PQR in order to qualify the method as well as the welders without any doubt even when the client is asking for such verification.

Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stud welding to stainless steel