Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Intergraular Corrosion Test
- - By Barbaros (*) Date 09-22-2011 11:43
Hello,

Do anybody know that, while building a stainless steel shell boiler accoring to ASME Section 8 Div.1, in which conditions should I perform a intergranular corrosion test to my weld seams?

It is indicated in ITP by client and I am curious for the source of this demand. Is the code including any rule for that?

Thank you.

PS: ASTM A 262 defines how to perform the test but not tells any conditions or requirements.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-22-2011 15:04
The requirement for corrosion testing would come from your customer specification not the code. The acceptance criteria should be in the spec as well.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-22-2011 19:45
Sorry, but I don't understand your question.
You speak of "stainless steel shell boiler". What exactly is a shell boiler? Do you mean the boiler drum? I've never seen a stainless steel boiler, why is this boiler made of stainless steel?
You speak of "ASME 8 Div. 1". ASME 8 refers to pressure vessels. Boilers fall under ASME 1 Code: Power boilers; or under ASME 4 Code: Heating boilers. What kind of a boiler is this one that falls under ASME 8?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Barbaros (*) Date 09-23-2011 05:10
That is not a "shell boiler", I mean the shell of boiler. We call shell to the body part of that pressure vessel. Also thats a NH3 boiler, thats why that is made of stainless steel.

I also could not find any directive in client spec for this test.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-23-2011 10:43
If you are building a new boiler, why would you be testing for inter-granular corrosion?  Are you using used material that has been exposed to in-service conditions?
Parent - By Barbaros (*) Date 09-26-2011 08:26
That is what I am already asking.
- By Eugeny (*) Date 01-21-2016 11:47
Hi all

Please, tell me how to make the sample for testing of surfacing material (ER309Lsi) and where is it regulated? Test on a 262, practice E.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Intergraular Corrosion Test