Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Offshore advice
- - By Robert48 (**) Date 09-27-2011 02:14
I am looking for some advice on getting started in the offshore industry. I see all kind of advertising on the web from companies claming to be able to place you in an offshore position (for a small fee of course). I don't trust any of them. Although I have not worked offshore I think I would be more qualified than most new applicants. I am a 6G certified welder, NCCO certified crane operator, Class A CDL driver,  have TWIC card. I also am about to take Gulf Safe and HUET training in two weeks as I have been told these are a must have.  I google some of the companies that operate off shore rigs in the gulf and they all seem to be based pretty close to each other and a few have career openings that say apply in person. I was thinking off taking a couple of days and "beating the streets" around there trying to find an opertunity to get my foot in the door. Although I would like to weld, or operate I am not too good to do anything. Any advice or contact info you could pm me would be greatly appreciated.

P.S     I want honest advice. If I am wasting my time I want to know.
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 09-27-2011 12:32
Just go and talk with the different companies.  Remember to always wear your PPE's outside of the living quarters, hard hat, ear plugs, safety glasses, and some rigs require you to wear gloves 100% of the time.  Other than that it's just like anywhere else, the new guy doesn't know anything, always have pride in what you do.  My primary job is diver, but I'm not above fixing a clogged toilet, washing dishes or anything else that most others look down upon.  The last thing to remember is to try and get along with everyone, it's not like on the beach where you can say ***** it and just walk off, you're a ways from land.  Bring enough clothes for 1 week, with spare socks (they're always walking off somewhere), a couple of books (we trade all the time), and a good attitude.  Keep your eyes and ears open, I know that I've learned a lot from a lot of people, and still learning after 14 years out here.

Charles
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 09-28-2011 00:23
Thank you. I hope I get far enough to use some of that advice. I have a very positive attitude, and can work with anyone. I am not to good to anything ask of me. Even though I am a skilled welder/operator I will use a grease gun or a broom if that is what it takes to get in the door.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-29-2011 02:47
listen to Chuck make him your friend....there is probably no better authority I know of on working drilling rigs out in the water then him.  I think a positive attitude and a willing back will make you bank out in the gulf.   Good luck on the helo test....I have always wondered how well I would score on that one....I imagine it is pass or fail simple as that.  Try not to get stuck in the middle seat I reckon and go for it.
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 09-30-2011 01:34
From what I saw of that training it could be either fun or sheer terror
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-29-2011 11:23
Any company that will charge you a fee to get you a job in the oil and gas industry is a scam. There are a lot of third party companies that we work through but they do not charge you for the chance to get a job.
Have a polished resume. Spell check the thing! Have someone who is in the industry look your resume over and make recommendations.
Find the companies that work where you are wanting to work.
Start making phone calls to them to find out if they need you.
Talk to people that work for the companies. They can tell you who you can or need to talk to.
When breaking in to the industry YOU have to sell yourself. By doing the legwork yourself you get to know the people to talk to. Paying a fee to someone to present your resume is a shortcut, you will be poorer and still not have a job.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 09-30-2011 01:36
That is what I was thinking too. I don't really know anybody in that industry so maybe I can find someone on here to review it.
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 10-02-2011 13:05
put your cv on rigzone.com
Parent - - By hojopens3 (**) Date 10-02-2011 16:03
spent alot years in the gulf as a rig welder, the company you hire on with will send you to safe gulf, huet, and rigging class, you will go to a lab and take a ABS 6G test, is nothing more than a 6'' sch. 80 on a bellhole witnessed by a ABS inspector. Just know how to fit by yourself because most roughnecks aint got clue. Some of things you will fix are washouts, lots of handrails, cutting casing, doing wellheads. Not a bad job and most of time you set your own pace once the pusher has faith in you. Just be able to think fast on your feet because when all else fails "PICK UP WELDER'' then just do your thing. If you have any more questions will be glad to help
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 10-12-2011 20:16
Thank you all for your advice. But upon looking for work in the gulf I found a job in North Dakota. I gues that will be a big change in enviroment from th Gulf, but the money is good. I hope they have wifi in the camp so I can still check out the forum.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 10-14-2011 10:59
Don't rely on with get you an aircard and no worries usually
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-12-2011 20:31
You might check into a contract firm Airenergi LLC.  They are big into offshore contract jobs and they will treat you right.  No fees.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Offshore advice