Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sidewalk Handrail
- - By sparksandslag (**) Date 09-29-2011 02:32
Hope this is the right area to post this.  If not, let me know and I'll move elsewhere.  I've drawn the short straw to install a handrail along the edge of a sidewalk going into our church.  Purpose of the handrail is for those with mobility issues to have something to hold onto as they walk.  The sidewalk is dead level the entire length.  What height should the handrail be so that I don't get in trouble with the ADA weenies?  Any positive comments appreciated.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-29-2011 03:54
I don't remember where to find it, but get ALL the requirements for ADA compliance. These cover the terminations of the handrail, a low rail to keep the wheelchairs from going off the sidewalk, and a few other details that could be a problem if You don't get the dimensions right.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 09-29-2011 10:51
sparksandslag
As Dave Mentioned there are codes and restrictions and they may be different in different places.
What you are describing sounds like a curb ramp if the elevation is under @18" as you describe there should be no real problems. I would recommend a toe plate at the bottom to keep wheel chair wheels and walking sticks from going astray along the path.
guard rails are @42 "  handrails @36"  Should be able to support around a 200 pound person.
Here is ADA site

http://www.ada.gov/

Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-29-2011 12:23 Edited 09-29-2011 12:26
Handrail is 34" to 38", guardrail is 38"-42". If it is serving as a guardrail/handrail you would actually need a continuous handrail on the inside of the guardrail. If it is just a handrail then you can just do a continous run along the top. If the grass/dirt is dead nuts level with the sidewalk according to the IBC you would not need a toe kick at the bottom. But, I believe that you must have 12" of level area extending past the edge of the sidewalk, to the right or left of the sidewalk. It's almost safer to put a toe kick on the bottom, 4" max above the top of the sidewalk to the bottom of your toe kick. Basically the toe kick is there to keep folks in wheel chairs from rolling off the edge under the handrail or crutches slipping off the edge of the concrete under the handrail. At the beginning of your handrail you will need a hoop that rolls back into the last post, minimum is 12" past the last post and you will need one at the other end. My understanding, as it was explained to me was these hoops are to let people know that a handrail is drawing near.....just in case you could not see it!

It's best to check with your local codes though, I'm going off 2012 IBC where your local codes may have a much older issue. ADA's website also has quite a bit of info on there about regs for handrail etc., with images so you can better understand what I'm talking about with the toe kick.

Page 134 of the file lays it out, I tried to attach but the file is to big. Send me an email addy and I'll send you the info. I'll try to pm you first though.
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-29-2011 16:37
You have to watch those codes pretty close.  They closed down a strip joint near here, because the women’s rest room was not handicap equipped.  You wouldn't want them to close down your church.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-29-2011 18:49
Is this what you're referring to Shawn?

Excellent link Marshall.:wink::cool:

4.9.4 Handrails. Stairways shall have handrails at both sides of all stairs. Handrails shall comply with 4.26 and shall have the following features:

(1) Handrails shall be continuous along both sides of stairs. The inside handrail on switchback or dogleg stairs shall always be continuous (see Fig. 19(a) and (b)).

(2) If handrails are not continuous, they shall extend at least 12 in (305 mm) beyond the top riser and at least 12 in (305 mm) plus the width of one tread beyond the bottom riser. At the top, the extension shall be parallel with the floor or ground surface. At the bottom, the handrail shall continue to slope for a distance of the width of one tread from the bottom riser; the remainder of the extension shall be horizontal (see Fig. 19(c) and (d)). Handrail extensions shall comply with 4.4.

(3) The clear space between handrails and wall shall be 1-1/2 in (38 mm).

(4) Gripping surfaces shall be uninterrupted by newel posts, other construction elements, or obstructions.

(5) Top of handrail gripping surface shall be mounted between 34 in and 38 in (865 mm and 965 mm) above stair nosings.

(6) Ends of handrails shall be either rounded or returned smoothly to floor, wall or post.

(7) Handrails shall not rotate within their fittings...

Sparksandslag , The information above is from the appropriate standard in the ADA website that Marshall a.k.a "Waccobird" referred you to look over titled:

"28 CFR Part 36 Revised as of July 1, 1994
Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability by Public Accommodations and in Commercial Facilities
Excerpt from 28 CFR Part 36: ADA Standards for Accessible Design."

Here's the .pdf:

http://www.ada.gov/adastd94.pdf

Refer to pages 31 & 32 (34 & 35 of 92) for the corresponding illustrations (Figures 17 & 19).

Hope this is helpful.:lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 09-29-2011 20:52
And like all minimum requirements (codes) … Beware of “add-ons” by YOUR state, county or city.
They WILL jump up and bite you!!

We thought we did good following the ADA and city codes ... The school district had a different opinion ... AND "code".

Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-30-2011 01:37
Close Henry, the one I have on computer shows a railing on a sidewalk with drawings as well. Explanation of the toe kick and such. Its the 2010morning ADA Standards, 247 pages would not fit in our attachments and I'm to computer stupid to rip the page out that I want to post! LoL!
Parent - - By sparksandslag (**) Date 09-30-2011 03:16
Thanks to all who have replied to my post.  You have given me some points we had not considered.  We are taking out a three foot wide flowerbed between the building and existing sidewalk.  The plan is to put a simple handrail up against the sidewalk, basically for those who need something to steady themselves as they walk along the sidewalk.  It is evident from the information presented that we need to take a closer look before we do the job.  Again, thanks to all--I have been a long-time lurker, and it is amazing the amount of useful information I have picked up over the years.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 09-30-2011 12:02
I don't know about ADA never heard of them. OSHA says all hand rail is to be 42" tall with a 4" toe plate. Just trying to help
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-30-2011 13:09
Okay, Sparksandslag, 

Maybe a couple of points to make sure the various codes are clear.

ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act, regulates public access for the handicapped.  OSHA regulates for mainly commercial but does also apply to residential.  International Building Code, IBC 2006, also applies mainly to public access but has a seperate code, and some within the main code, for residential.  Then, as stated by others, you have to watch for local, county, and state regulations as well.  For example, IBC says pool fencing is to be 4' high, with some other factors as well.  AZ, where I live, says pool fences are to be 5'. 

Now, railings.  There is a difference between griprail/handrail for down stairs or sloped walkways, gaurdrails for around decks, balconies, etc and conditions as to rather they are residential or industrial.

If your area is level, no fall off to the side, no steps, and is only a barrier to keep people from stepping off the edge of the sidewalk and aid the elderly, then you don't have many requirements to worry about.  It does not appear to be a mandated rail by any of the codes and you can do anything you want. 

A simple post and top rail at any height would work.  Now,  you can add pickets if you want to dress it up.  You can add a middle bar.  You can add a toe kick.  But under the conditions you described it should not be MANDATORY under ANY of the codes to do so.  You may want to check with your local building official just to be sure.

There are many requirements once that sidewalk slopes or has steps or has a fall off of 18" or more to the side of it.  But if I understood you description correctly then you have very little to worry about.  I would however use the 1 1/2" size of ADA as that is a very comfortable size of grip area for elderly.  Use 1 1/4" pipe and you will be fine.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Wolfkc Date 11-29-2018 20:05
I've been trying to get my builder to extend the railing on my sidewalk. Is there any specification anywhere i can quote? They keep saying it passes city code but i think with the slope at the grass the drop would exceed requirements even if the straight down drop doesn't.

Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 12-03-2018 17:08
Check State, County and City codes. City Building Code would be the more restrictive generally speaking, and would be the one that needs to be adhered to. As far as I know, there is no other code that would contain what you are looking for.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sidewalk Handrail