Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question on stick welding stainless??
- - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-04-2011 01:54 Edited 10-04-2011 01:58
I'm going for a welding test in the morning and it will be a structural flux core test and I have taken a welding test before with these people for pipe and i did fine for part of the test but the other part was stick welding stainless on 2 inch pipe. I can't remember the thickness of pipe but the rods were I think 3/32...316.

I would really like to see some pictures on how the hell it is suppose to look, when I did it, it look like total crap. Tig welding stainless is so much dang easier, anyway can someone show me some pictures and even explain to me a little how or what is the trick to stick welding stainless steel? I really should have asked this a long time ago from you guys and may have learned something and who knows may have been able to take this test tomorrow. Any pictures??

Forgot to add this pipe has a chill ring in it for when you take the test.

Chris
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-04-2011 03:53
GTAW always Rules!! Don't know anyone who would not rather Tig it if given the choice. Welding S/S with any flux process sux, but we all already know that. Problem is that the slag wants to go where it doesn't need to be. Like in the toes and worse yet Under the bead.
For out of position, say vertical up, keep electrode angle perpendicular or even slightly leading angle as if you were welding flat...point arc towards the puddle. Work the edges and pass through the middle as fast possible.
Problem with small bore S/S pipe is that heat doesn't conduct away as fast as steel. It gets hot and Stays hot. So let it cool down between passes. XS heat is the enemy of S/S and will ruin it's anti corrosion properties. For the welder, it means that that it is going to want to have XS convexity if too hot out of position. Stick a hair dryer in your welding bucket and use it on cool to keep your test piece temps down (Austenitic S/Ss [304, 316] only. 400 series with appreciable carbon content are prone to cracking from thermal shock like a medium to high carbon steel would be). When I test on S/S, I like it to be able to put my hand on it before firing back  up.
Hope you get to play with some different techniques before test time. Kinda like learning a new guitar lick before going on stage.
Good luck to you on your test.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-04-2011 06:18 Edited 10-04-2011 06:22
You have a chill ring
Not that difficult, just weld like vert with back up, kinda hot but move quick with your zzzz, or 8888...
Lucky you got a chill ring, I once took that test on 6" ss smaw with open root
Hope this helps
Thank you for your time and consideration
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-04-2011 20:57
thanks guys I went for the test today it was't for the pipe it was flux core and I pasted the test. It's for a local shipyard building barges not really what I care to do but it's better then nothing
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question on stick welding stainless??