Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.3 Sheet Steel to D1.1 Structural Steel Question
- - By eekpod (****) Date 10-04-2011 11:02
I am not very comfortable with D1.3, but I have reviewed some past posts and I want to make sure I am understanding my situation correctly.

I need a WPS to weld fillet welds on sheet steel (say 11 ga) to structural steel (say 5"X5"x1/2" A 500 tube).
Per D1.3 it is only pre-qualified for base metal up 3/16" max.
D1.1 only covers 1/8" and up.

D1.3 per the chart in Annex A it is not pre-qualified (unfortunatly).
I have to qualify the procedure per 4.6.2 Tables 4.1 and 4.4.

I just find it hard to believe that I can weld sheet steel to structural steel that is 3/16" thick, but if I go to 1/4" and over I have to qualify it. That doesn't make sence but it seems to be what the code says.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-04-2011 13:27
See D1.3 Sect 4.6.2.3 and 4.6.3.3 and Table 4.2 (e)
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 10-05-2011 01:30
"...I can weld sheet steel to structural steel that is 3/16" thick, but if I go to 1/4" and over I have to qualify it. That doesn't make sence..."

Perhaps think of it this way, if you set your machine to weld 2 inch plate, what is going to do to 22 Ga.? , or set a machine to weld 22 Ga, and try to weld 2" plate instead.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-05-2011 08:53
Skaggydog

What you said has no real bearing on the Weldor.

A Weldor does not determine the voltage and amp of the welding machine for any given situation.

A Weldor welds a weld to a WPS which dictates the variables.

The making sense of it comes all in the fact that when you weld certain sizes and materials to a code you must follow the requirements of that code.

The only way to get around it,( when a weld/Weldor is governed by a code) is query the E.O.R.

I have seen long time excellent weldors who are put into welding a different set of variables or process fail because of lack of experience in the new situation.

Granted it seems and may be 1/16" is no big deal,

But if codes are required the code requirements must be met.

Just my ΒΆΒΆ's

Marshall
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-05-2011 10:11
Skaggydog,
thanks for that analogy,  I understand your point.
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 10-05-2011 19:14
waccobird

What you said has no real bearing on what I said.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-05-2011 22:25
Weldor?  What the hey?

Al
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-05-2011 22:43
Al

Hey What?

Weldor  A person who welds or operates a welding machine, especially as a profession.

Welder  Equipment used to produce welds.

I guess you are too young Al

Marshall
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2011 03:15
Those were terms coined by James Lincoln. He's been dead nearly a hundred years. Today, even Lincoln has relented and adopted standard AWS 2.4 terminology as the AWS electrode classification system. Gone is the Lincoln system of paint spots and stripes.  Haven't seen those since the late 70's! :eek:

Best regards - Al :grin:
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-06-2011 08:21
Al

I started answering ads in the paper for welding positions,(there was no internet/craig'slist) in 1968.

linguistics and Suffix's in particular have always been a toil for me.

Let me put it this way

A weldor utilizes a welder to deposit sound weld, looks more correct and less confusing than, A welder utilizes a welder to deposit sound weld ,and a welder on a good day sometimes can pass a weld qualification where as us weldor's always pass   LoL

Believe it or not, I never have failed a weld test. :razz:

Thank You for the insight.

Have a Great Day :cool:

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-06-2011 13:01
Marshall,

As far as I am concerned, AWS is free to adopt sloppy English and incorporate it into their standards via B2.4 if they want.  And to a degree, I will use it that way and not cause any waves.  But I still tell young people in my shop and in classes that there is a big difference between a 'weldor' and a 'welder' and that they had better know which one they are. 

The US has really messed a lot of things up in the spelling and pronunciation of words.  It doesn't help that much of the past couple of generations has not been taught proper phonics or rules for spelling.  Then with the current trends for texting and other time saving shortcuts, abbreviations, etc no one knows how to spell out a word as simple as 'you'.  Some of the things I read just make me cringe, and I don't consider myself to be very good at spelling or composition. 

Anyway, go ahead and use 'weldor' anytime you want.  There are definitely times where the distinction is important to keep from confusing the equipment from the person performing the work.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-06-2011 13:30
Brentdog,  U  R   a  Gr8  Weldor!
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-06-2011 19:18
LMAOROTFG......!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-06-2011 19:26
AMIIGAFF!!! ROTFLMFAO!!!:eek::twisted::yell::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2011 22:56
That's why we have welding machines and welders.

The distinction is pretty clear to most people.

Best regards - Al :wink:
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-06-2011 20:27
The only way to get around the D codes. Only in extreme exceptions can an engineer run counter to ASME. The engineer can do what he wants, but its not ASME. And I know of no place where an engineer can get around Section IX.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.3 Sheet Steel to D1.1 Structural Steel Question