Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question About Weld Acceptance Criteria?
- - By Henry1832 Date 12-01-2002 20:41
I’m having a problem at work as to what the third party inspector is using as RT weld acceptance criteria to except or reject pipe welds. The pipe welds are on chill water and heating water piping in a HVAC system.
The clients specifications calls for;
--------------------------------------------------------------
All welding operations shall conform to the latest recommendations of the American Welding Society and to Section Six of Power Piping, ANSI B31.1 1973

All qualifying tests, welding and stress relieving procedures, shall, moreover, be in accord with Standard Qualification for WELDING PROCEDURES,WELDERS AND WELDING OPERATORS, APPENDIX A, SECTION 6 of the Code

Piping and fittings shall be welded and fabricated in accordance with ASME/ANSI and the latest edition of Standard B31.1 from the Code for Pressure Piping for all systems.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The third party inspector is rejection all welds with ANY indication of defect, no matter how small. It is my understanding that he above mention standard dose allow a certain amounts of defects according to pipe size (Dia). When this was brought up to the inspector he said “The Boiler Code for Power Boilers and Nuclear Code do not allow any indication of defect.” It seams to me they are mixing apples and oranges (Power Piping and Power Boilers).

So I my question is ‘What is and where do I find the standerd for RT pipe weld acceptance under the above mention Codes.

Thanks In Advance,
Henry

Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-01-2002 23:53
Based on the words you provided from the customer's spec, the RT acceptance criteria would be that stated in the 1973 edition of ANSI B31.1. The 3rd party inspector is absolutley wrong if he says the Boiler Code (ASME Section I?) and Nuclear Code (ASME Section III?) do not permit any indications for RT. Not to mention the fact that neither is applicable to your work, since the spec invokes B31.1. This 3rd party inspector is costing both you and the customer big bucks. Ask the customer if he wants you to meet the spec or the 3rd party inspector's imaginary criteria. If he want you to have zero indications on RT, decline the work because you will never be able to achieve it.

Also, why are you doing RT to begin with? ANSI B31.1 has a table of the required nondestructive examinations based on pressure and temperature. I can't see where a chilled or hot water piping system for HVAC would ever get close to the 350 F/750 psig limit where RT is required.

Marty
Parent - By underwooddl Date 12-02-2002 18:56
As suggested by MBSims, something doesn't add up here. Unless you are into the temperature and pressure range for critical piping, then B31.1 would not require radiography.

If you are working on a nuclear plant, there may be some additional committments (to the NRC) or some regulatory requirements that affect the piping systems you are working on. If this is an older nuclear facility, the plant may be required to maintain/modify their piping systems in accordance with ASME Section III and/or XI.

If it is a nuclear plant, contact the utility Quality Control or Quality Assurance Department to find out what the acceptance criteria is, and where to find it. Suggest you avoid confronting the third party inspector, since he may know exactly what the acceptance criteria is and where it comes from, and may be "testing" you to see if you know.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question About Weld Acceptance Criteria?