Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NCR RESPONSE
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-05-2011 17:45
Hi all , i recently posted about an NCR i wrote for a company makeing welds in a position
the welders were not qualified in as per the wpqr. I recveived a response from the project manager
with structurally acceptable initial RGB scribbled on a response statement. since i don't know who
RGB is i called my level 111 and asked him if this response was acceptable. he said it was acceptable that
he believed RGB to be the engineer of record. I asked him to put it in writing that the company was
willing to accept this response. i then emailed him asking him to put it in writing. they refuse to do so.
i then got an email from my project manager that they didn't like my attitude since i had copied everyone involved
my request for their acceptance. He actually asked me why i cared so much abouty this issue. i informed him
that i took my job seriously and valued my license and by his companies refusal to put it in writing that this ncr
response was acceptable that something smelled . I will now accept nothing less than a stamped letter from the EOR
to make this go away. Im probably going to lose my job over this but who wants to work for a spineless company anyway!!
anybody have any names or numbers at the city of new york dept of building and safety. I can guaranty you all this i will not
go away quietly.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-05-2011 23:57
Good for you Joe, stick to you ethics.  Sounds like something phony is going on there.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-06-2011 01:32
The general contractor will be getting an email first thing tomorrow morning.
I will also be contacting the eor directly and ask him for a stamped reply
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-06-2011 03:44
AAWwwww...c'mon. RGB said it'd be OK! He'll pull you out of the way put his neck on the chopping block. Right?

Hang in there Joe. It's better to quit or get fired than to get drug through slime of this kind of feces.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-06-2011 12:04
You are doing the right thing Joe.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-06-2011 16:02
My latest response
xxxxx, since you are so willing to accept these initials as official acceptance from the EOR I am attaching  a copy of the NCR  to this email you can sign it and stamp it with YOUR CWI LICENSE
and close out this matter yourself. i will not affix my CWI Stamp or signature to this NCR without a stamped response from the engineer of record period!
Joe Pirie CWI
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-06-2011 18:35
Sent an Email to the engineer of record and they are his initials. he based his decision on
information presented by steel contractor that as per code AWS D1.5 wpqr qualified flat can also weld horizontal.
i reminded him that we are working to aws d1.1 and that what aws d1.5 said was irrelevant.  whhy don't we just
throw ASME code into the mix and allow them to weld in any position they like. There must be some reason why D1.5 allows
horizontal welding qualified flat and AWS D1.1 does not for materials that are not prequalified. casn somebody explain this logic
to me  thanks  Joe
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-06-2011 19:06
Different committees, different views & opinions.....:roll:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-06-2011 19:07
Joe,

A 1G test in D1.5 qualifies for 1G, 1F, and 2F...but not 2G....See D1.5:2008 Table 5.6

A 1G test in D1.1 qualifies for 1G, 1F and 2F...but not 2G .....See D1.1:2010 Table 4.10

Disregard....I thought you were talking abourt the welder not the WPS.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-06-2011 23:40
Just recieved another email from EOR apparently he never looked up AWS D1.1
himself and relied on the information sent to him from the project manager that was
taken out of AWS D1.5 and presented   to him as An AWS code with no reference to
what book it was taken out of. I guess if they would have sent him copies out of the Farm code
he might have accepted it as true and accurate. Now that his eyes have been opened
i think he will be changing his position on this matter . either way accepted or not im glad
i did my job and stood my ground. thank you all
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-07-2011 03:27
Good job, now watch your back.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-10-2011 16:40
And your tires. :)
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-10-2011 19:07
its a rental car  lmao
Parent - By bhichai.s (*) Date 10-10-2011 17:02
Joe, your right, but in my opinion. In the sometime we will oral or close issue commented first. And then, they not correction, we will official issue (NCR and etc.) again.

Because, in the somewhere, his worker (or all) don't know to do the right job.

have a good job.....
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 10-22-2011 14:23
Joe,
just currious. What license do you carry that your concerned about losing?

Jim
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-23-2011 23:45
cwi license. im worried about something going wrong with the building
these welds are on a steel truss on the 45th floor that cantilevers out intp
no mans land. if the engineer and my boss are not willing to to put there
stamp on  it why should i. we have different codes for diffedrent building applications
and i don't feel it's right to use the wrong code because it suits your needs.
I've done my job and documented every aspect of the problem and feel that i
have covered my ass .
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 10-28-2011 11:48
Joe,
Thanks for your responce.  I'm pretty sure a CWI is not a license. It's only a certification. I believe you have been misinformed. 

Thanks
Jim
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-29-2011 04:59
im sure it can still be revoked or you could face criminal penalties for accepting
work you know for a fact was done wrong, my problem is if its no big deal why won't the engineer put it in writing
and put his stamp on it. hes more thamn willing to give a verbal ok but willn ot stamp or sign anything. im finished
with the project i never signed off or stamped the ncr good luck geytting a certificate of occupancy permit
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NCR RESPONSE