Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / getting hired
- - By chickweldor (*) Date 10-06-2011 17:07
I am a 21yr old weldor with almost 2 yrs welding exprience i'm been  looking for a job in a welding shop  but I really don't know what to say so far they just tell me no  what do you recomend telling them if you're trying to get hired
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-06-2011 23:40
Ironed shirt, clean pants, dirty leathers!

Excellent resume'

Need to know more about your training and experience before much more advice.  So say more

I can tell you the last question you should ask during any job interview.

"When do I start?"
Parent - - By chickweldor (*) Date 10-09-2011 17:10
thanks for the advice.expierence is limited to SMAW all positions in plate and pipe some FCAW welding self taught no welding schools around here lots of metalworking shops though hopefully one will give me a chance
Parent - By alan domagala (**) Date 10-09-2011 19:34
Professional attitude (I'm not your "bro"), proper attire, (no pants hanging off your ass) enthusiasm, (act like your a professional welder) and leave the cell phone at home! I recently was explaining the weld test for this new hire and when I look over he's TEXTING on his phone. I promptly told him to get out. Appearance, attitude, enthusiasm, and using the correct welding terminology go along way with me.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-11-2011 03:42
CW you just keep after it, ask them to at least let you test before they turn you away.  If it's the ame shop try another.  You'll get there eventually (I know it's frustrating).  Depending on where you live, maybe check some unions?  2 years is not a lot of experience so that's working against you at the moment, just remember you'll have to prove yourself for a few more years.  Good luck and keep the faith, whenever possible try learning some more processes, maybe GTAW?
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-12-2011 19:17
OK, so for the past year and a half I've been hiring and training welders.
I've probably looked at 500 applications, held 130 interviews and hired 100 welders in that time, which has been an interesting experience...

First, DO NOT scribble unreadable mess on the application, fill it out completely and neatly as that alone says alot about your work ethic and attention to detail.
Next, if you get an interview, DO NOT show up in offensive clothing, smell like stale beer, pass out in a drug induced coma, cuss like a sailor, say that you're just looking for something to get you by for a little while or bad mouth everybody you've ever worked for.
Use keywords like honesty, integrity, work ethic, punctuality, teamwork, detail orientated, fast learner, hand eye coordination. Know what they mean before you go so you can drop them in the right place.
Listen to interview questions carefully, answer completely without rambling, don't lie and don't interrupt.
Know welding lingo like, read the puddle, walk the cup, whip, oscillate, weave, pulse, spray short-arc, transfer mode and many more.
Do some research in the company before you go. Make sure you know the type of welding they are doing and are versed in the proper lingo.
Most welding interviews incude a hands on test so go prepared. Try to find out if they're going to test you before hand and find some way to practice that process a bit before you go.
When I hire a welder, I'm not as concerned with his/her welding ability as whether or not I'd like to work beside them all day every day. If you stink, or have a bad attitude, or think you're the best there ever was, or are rude/offensive, there's no way you're going to get the job.

I've moved around quite a bit, worked at some good and bad places and have never been passed over for a job I've applied for, maybe beacause people gave me similar interview advice when I was young. Mostly though, the fact that I have attached to my resume a letter of recommendation from everyone I've ever worked for I feel has helped a lot.
Cultivate contacts, never burn bridges, be respectful, always ask for a letter of recommendation and you'll go far and get your pick of jobs.

Tim
- - By jbndt (**) Date 10-09-2011 21:32
CW,

Check out what DBK has to say in the second post … Linked at the bottom.

Read “welder” where it says CWI and it works.

Courtesy and respect spans ALL trades and genders!

People DO remember these things.

For example:

When I was responsible for pre-hire interviews and testing, I was given 2 stacks of applications/resumes.
Those the boss wanted checked out FIRST (“green stack”) … and “the others”.

I've seen more than one “thank you note” stapled to a resume or application in the “green stack” where some of “the others” may have been a bit more qualified.

So, even if you’re passed over in the first round, you may be a top pick when the next opening occurs.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
jb

Here's the link ...

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=27214
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 10-12-2011 16:42
chickwelder, That says a lot right there.  I don't like girls in a welding shop.  Not because of their work, but because of all the boys tripping over themselves trying to help them.  Even if you are not a girl, but just a little swishy, you may need to assure the company that you are physically able to handle all aspects of the job.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-12-2011 17:22
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 10-12-2011 19:34
Where'd ya get the popcorn?
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / getting hired