Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / steel toe boots
- - By chickweldor (*) Date 10-09-2011 20:24
do all welding shops make you wear steel toe boots? do they have to be ASTM rated?
Parent - By Victor Smith Date 10-19-2011 17:46
The shop at my school doesn't require us to wear steel toes but i agree with jbndt, it's better to buy a good pair of steel toes than to to have broken toes.
- - By jbndt (**) Date 10-09-2011 21:46
CW,

Not all shops require steel toes but, a number of them will reimburse the difference if you buy them.
PPE and all.
Besides, it’s waaaay cheaper for them than a broken toe injury … :eek:

And DON’T skimp on your foot wear!
It WILL catch up with you!

Cheers,
jb

Edit: Spellin'
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 10-09-2011 23:50
no but they should.   Some anal ones will want to see the ANSI certs with the boots.
- - By chickweldor (*) Date 10-10-2011 20:58
the only steel toe boots I can find are loggers don't know about those heels seems like they could catch on all kinds of stuff .anybody wear them?
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 10-10-2011 23:25
Try these guys.  They're American made and the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.  If you need a discount code let me know.  Check the bottom right part of the page.

http://www.thebootpro.com/products/dsp_productlinks.cfm?advsearch=&saletype=USA&salename=neww
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-10-2011 23:50
Hello chickweldor, there are a great number of steel-toed boots out there that are used on the job every day. Sometimes, the area that you are located in might dictate how available the various brands are, yet, with the internet this isn't usually a problem. As to your question regarding the heel heighth, I have used boots with the taller heels in the rear and I have also used ones that are basically flat on the soles. Tripping isn't so much the issue as is comfort to the user. Depending on how your feet react to the different sole configurations will be much more an issue than the sole type, IMHO. Find boots that fit you well and don't kill your feet to break them in and you'll be a happy camper. The others that have responded here have given you plenty of brands to pick from, take a look and possibly decide from there. I have used the heeled steel-toed Redwings and liked them very well, didn't require a long exhaustive/painful break-in period. There are certainly a bunch of others that will perform as well or better. Good luck on your selection and best regards, Allan
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 10-11-2011 00:59
The wedge soles are banned by certain companies (BP and Exxon)
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-11-2011 01:04
Hello Charles, hadn't considered that particular issue, thanks for including that. I need to be enlightened every now and then to keep the old grey-matter sharp(or at least a bit sharper). Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-23-2012 16:32
Hope you found some steel toe boots by now. My wife works in an office but her company required he to have steel toes. She spent weeks trying to find steel toes for a woman. Finally found a pair she said was "stylish" (lol), zip up the side and so on. I know she said there were not many options for woman when it came to steel toe boots. She bought a pair from a farm supply but they hurt her feet well after being broken in, heavy, clunky.

Most places I know require steel toes. A few contractors I have worked with have required them on the jobsite when I show up as a sub. I think it comes down to common sense. I wear pull ups without steel toes sometimes. Other times in the shop I wear simple tennis shoes, way more comfortable than boots. I know my wife found several "tennis shoe" type of steel toe shoes online. I hate buying boots, you spend money in order to find out whether or not they are want YOU want, what is comfortable for YOU. If not, then your out money or you suffer. I buy the same boots every year. Will not change unless they stop selling them, creature of habit I suppose.

Hope it all works out for you!

Shawn
Parent - - By chickweldor (*) Date 12-25-2012 14:37
I have read some ironworkers don't wear steel toe boots, maybe because if a beam fell on they're feet it would crush the steel toe. Lots of folks say they would rather have broken toes then cut off toes. I ordered some made in the usa boots, but I won't get them till well into next year, the factory has so many orders, everyone is buying more usa stuff. BTW are ironworkers required to wear steel toes or not?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-26-2012 07:35
For the toe caps to work effectively, the sole of the boot under the cap has to be supported well enough to carry the force of the falling object.

An industrial safety guy I know has seen first hand a hard toe boot run over by the front wheel of a loaded forklift.
Because the concrete floor could carry the loading, the guys toes were unharmed.

This safety guy is a fan of hard toes & metatarsel guards. Makes for goofy looking boots.
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 01-05-2013 00:04
Aprentice plummer droped a 3" sch 80 flange on my red wings. It cut the leather to the steel,i was under the hood when it happend.He is a good kid,and i love my made in America  Red Wings.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-26-2012 17:06
I think it depends on where you work, who you work for. When I was a mechanic I was required to where steel toes at the Cat dealer. Other places were not as concerned. Steel toes are nice to have. I've had things land on the toe and was glad I had then steel toe. I've heard the myth about the weight crushing your toes, cutting off your foot, etc., have yet to see that done on Mythbusters though. Maybe I need to send them an email. Something heavy enough to crush the steel toe portion of your boot and cut off your toes falling onto your non steel toe boot will likely do so much damage to your toes you would loose them anyhow. Just my theory but I'd say structurally it would take quite a bit for a steel toe to fold, flatten out and take off your toes.

Like I said, I've rolled up on jobs, shutdowns and other things and they have specifically asked if I had steel toes and I'm the boss of the company. It's job to job but most places I have worked require steel toes but I rarely have had to many checking me while out on a job though.
- - By 464238 (**) Date 10-10-2011 21:59
In my opinion Ariat Steel Toe Boots are the most comfortable.

http://www.ariat.com/Work/Men/Footwear/Safety/SierraSaddleSt.html
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 10-10-2011 23:30
I like Redwings …

http://www.redwingshoes.com/

Cheers,
jb
- By Skaggydog (**) Date 05-12-2012 01:02
Special for a chickwelder  http://www.zappos.com/justin-wkl9980-aged-bark?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_cross
- By Dualie (***) Date 05-14-2012 05:26
Just got a pair of timberlands,  so far i love them.   better than the CAT boots and the redwings i had before.
- By saliviya jonath Date 06-02-2012 05:46
Safety is essential in the terms of welding .It needs special safety gadget while performing job.I haven't saw anyone around my house wearing boot shoe like this but if it is essential for the safety of the person who did this job.
- - By jason ritnour (*) Date 12-25-2012 15:16
Ironworkers are not required to wear steel toes it left up to the individual or the gc on the job.. Most of them dont becuase like you said if something heavy does fall on your foot the plate can roll and cut your toes off. Me personelly i dont wear them becuase of the reason stated above and that their heavy when i go get a new pair of boots i try to find what fits me the best and the lightest at the end of the day your feet will thank you for it. Dont buy cheap boots.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-26-2012 07:29
Cut an old steel toe boot apart and You will find that the toe caps don't weigh much at all.
- - By CDeal Date 12-26-2012 00:23
I wear 9" steel toe Red Wing Loggers everyday and love them. I have also had some composite toe Carolinas, I liked them too.
Parent - - By Oneatatime (**) Date 01-01-2013 08:21
4470 redwings
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-03-2013 01:36
If they are a large commercial outfit they will require them more then likely.  WC insurance will give them better rates for arbitrary safety compliance so ...pass it on down to the workers.  I have never found a really comfortable steel toe..much less steel shanks and tousle guards but I have been required to wear them before....Look around and take your time if you decide to buy some, ZEE safety stores have a wide selection...don't skimp because your shoes can either help you or make your life miserable whether or not they ever get tested in a mishap.
Parent - - By chickweldor (*) Date 01-04-2013 15:30
If you are a ironworker climbing columns wouldn't the steel toe be pressing back into your feet? I know when I'm climbing my boots flex alot.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 01-05-2013 06:58
Nope.
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 04-20-2013 19:46
8528 Carolinas
- By WTIS Date 12-12-2013 12:13 Edited 12-12-2013 12:15
I wear Ariat steel toe boots.  They are comfortable and flexible for climbing.  I'm on ladders and steel everyday.  You're crazy if you work out in the iron without steel toes.  They have saved my feet several times.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-03-2014 17:59
I didn't wear steel toes while working as an Ironworker, but I do now that I'm dealing primarily with shops.

Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-03-2014 18:54 Edited 07-03-2014 18:58
Al,
Back in the Pliocene Epoch (when I was a Union Ironworker), steel toed boots were considered a hazard as they could cut off your toes.
Here in the 21st century they are a requirement.
In those days of yore, the steel toed boot design technology was so poor that only a masochist could shinney up a column wearing hard toes.
I miss those days when "Darwinism" culled out those who should have sought other employment.
Many of us though managed to lived through it... Barely!
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-10-2014 15:29
Steel toe boots are good for a lot of things, but I don’t recommend wearing them while digging, especially if you’re digging a deep hole.  I wanted to break in my new pair before I wore them to work on the coming Monday, so I wore them that Saturday morning while I was walking around outside with the new metal detector I’d just bought the day before.  It was my first time using one and as soon as I turned it on, it started beeping, so I shut it off and started digging.  When I didn’t find anything after digging about 10 feet or so, I turned it back on again and it immediately started beeping like crazy.  At that point I knew I must be getting close to finding the treasure so I shut it off and dug another 10 feet or so.  I wasn't on an island, or anywhere near the ocean.  I was actually in my back yard, which is the perfect place for a pirate to bury his treasure, because, who in their right mind would actually think of looking there? Despite my ears still ringing from the sound of the beeper, I pulled myself together, tried not to get too excited, and I kept on digging.  The only thing I could think about was hoping that when I find it, the treasure chest has handles on it.  I know that if I were a pirate, in addition to hiding my treasure in someone's back yard while they're not at home, I'd bury it really deep, and before I covered it with dirt, I'd remove the handles and bury them in a separate location, making it more difficult for someone to steal.  After I dug another 10 feet, I turned the metal detector back on, and it started beeping like crazy again.  Then it hit me.  It was detecting my steel toes.

With regard to Darwinism, it’s still culling them out.  That hasn’t changed, though Darwin’s theory of biological evolution is not without fault.  He once said that the human body will adapt to help suit the challenges of the environment.  I’m still waiting on females to evolve to the point where they’re all born with a mute button, and, Darwin has been dead now for 132 years, and I can’t help but wonder if he ever thought that dolphins and butterflies would eventually evolve into tramp stamps.
Parent - By Manawar Date 09-16-2017 16:08
Which shop near to my home town don't wear this kind of shoe. But I think above friends said right that it's better to wear steel toe boots which is comfortable while working. Infect, my feriend give suggestion to check steel toe work boots for men which i flet really good source.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / steel toe boots