Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding Qualifacation
- - By Bubba01 (*) Date 10-12-2011 20:46
Hello all, My collegues and I are in a debate as to why as tio why a 5G pipe test does not Qualify a welder for a horziontal fillet.  Any input would be appreciated Thanks
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-12-2011 21:09
Because you are welding in the O, V, & F positions in the 5G position.

QCRobert
Parent - - By Bubba01 (*) Date 10-12-2011 21:40 Edited 10-12-2011 22:28
Thats what I told my  fellow inspector it  was based on the central axis of the weld and the position the welder was running. He said said the 5 G was harder than the 1 G to pass so the code ought to give that position too I said no.  I said the code states what it states.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2011 22:27
Maybe he is right from a certain point of view  :)  

... Maybe the code "ought to"... 

But it just doesn't.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2011 22:28
Maybe he is right from a certain point of view  :)  

... Maybe the code "ought to"... 

But it just doesn't.

After about 15 years of knocking on the door and working in AWS section activites.. Maybe he can get on that committee and make a change...

Heh
Parent - - By Bubba01 (*) Date 10-12-2011 22:32
We debate what that book says all the time. I tell him I dont write this is just how I kinda intreperate this and that and then I put Questions on here. Not to settle an argument but to learn from everyone.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-13-2011 03:45
That does seem like an inconsistance.

Welding in the 1G position where the pipe is rotated does qualify the welder for the horizontal fillets. It seems to be an oversight that the 5G, which includes a portion in the flat position similar to that of the 1G, would not include the 2F position in the range of positions qualified.

Did anyone check the errata?

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding Qualifacation