Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / October 2011
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-13-2011 20:26
Inspection Trends  Oct. 2011

The "Where the hell are your safety glasses" issue!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-13-2011 20:36
Did you look on the top of page 7? Maybe he left them there since they didn't have side shields?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-13-2011 20:48
Heh..

To be fair.. I love this mag and quote from it extensively.

It's about the "only" thing that comes to my mailbox addressed to me that I look forward to.

Just having fun..
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 01:30 Edited 10-14-2011 01:34
On another note, that laser tool for visual inspection does show some promise, don't you think Larry?

IMHO, it certainly does have tremendous potential once all of the bugs are worked out from intense, large scale field testing.:lol::wink::cool:

I too look forward to reading Inspection Trends from the American Welding Society.:lol::eek::grin::smile::twisted::wink::cool:

Btw, here's the link for the laser inspection tool called: 'Wikiscan" from Servorobot:

http://www.servorobot.com/en/manufacturing-solutions/weld-sealant-bead-inspection/wikiscan.html

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 01:54 Edited 10-14-2011 01:57
"Damn, I dropped it! There goes another XX thousand dollars!"

Just the type of tool I want on a high rise or on the shop floor.

Does anyone know the price range for one of these machines? When they designed it, did they have a klutz like me in mind? Tough enough may not be tough enough.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 03:06
That's why they have insurance around... Perfect tool back up for folks just like you and I Al.:lol::wink::twisted::cool:

Btw, excellent point to bring up, and that's why I wouldn't go near something like that unless I was allowed to read the report regarding their intensive & extensive field tests which apparently are not even posted in their web site... Hmmm, ya think that they could use such data as a selling point huh???:roll::eek::wink::cool:

It would definitely show integrity and transparency... Oh wait just a "cotton pickin" minute here folks, our Government can't do that so,
what in the heck was I thinking that everyone else could???:eek::confused::mad::razz::roll::eek::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 03:34
It was a few years ago that the Supreme Court said advertisers didn't have to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth in their advertisements as long as they don't tell outright lies about their products. That's why those wonderful people that produce genetically altered foods don't have to tell the consumer they are eating Frankenfoods.

Unfortunately there is little we, the consumers, can do at this point. They know we wouldn't buy their products if they put that information on the labels. How can we vote with our pocketbooks if we don't know the truth about the foods we are buying?

We would not want to be seen a unfriendly to big business! That might hurt the campaign contributions. Big corporation don't need government regulations. They can police themselves. How many times have we heard that and how many times has it bit us in the butt? People never learn. They make the same mistakes year after year when they go to cast their vote. I better stop now before I go on a rant.

Buyer beware.

Al
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-14-2011 03:47
It looks interesting but I can see issues that will keep it from entering my inspection tool inventory any time soon.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2011 04:05
Yeah,  issues...like...MONEY!!!!

Very interesting none the less.  As are all the articles.  Another very good issue.

Thanks again Al for your work, as well as all the other contributors.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 10-14-2011 07:07
How can money be an issue?  Everybody knows all CWI's independently wealthy.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 10:52

>When they designed it, did they have a klutz like me in mind? Tough enough may not be tough enough.

LOL....Al, you're not supposed to lay it on the rear bumper of the truck and drive off.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2011 12:27
And if Al's luck is like mine,  when I go to drive off I'd be backing out and run over it.

And yes, I am independently wealthy,  only I'm so independent I spent all my wealth on inspections gadgets I didn't really need just to have the neatest looking gadgets in the tool box.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 15:34 Edited 10-14-2011 15:38
Well, I'm NOT independently wealthy... In fact, I'm downright "Cain Po!:yell::eek:":razz::eek::lol::roll::twisted:
That's right... Cain doesn't even have a clue in knowing what it really is to be "Cain Po!:yell::eek:" even if that level of poverty was coined after his own upbringing...

Anywho, I hear you Al regarding the ranting because it feels like I'm headed in that direction also...
Ohhh yeah, it's definitely an item that is so expensive, it qualifies to the level where if one has to ask how much is it going to cost as the old saying goes, then one must not be able to afford one...

Unless of course, if one has enough left over to purchase adequate insurance in order to protect their new toy - err, investment...
Which of course also means that the one's who purchase the aforementioned item/tool/gadget/etc.,
must definitely not be anywhere near the level of poverty as one being truly "Cain Po!:yell::eek:" and therefore,
eliminating any possibility of being able to purchase such an item/tool/gadget/etc., under the present circumstances.:yell::lol::grin::smile::eek::roll::wink::cool:

However, it does seem to look like a really cool item to play with.:twisted::grin::lol::surprised::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 15:56
At first when I read Al's comment about the expensive tool, I almost replied back about the expense of a UT machine...you talking 8500 to 10Gs for most of those UT machines....but I had to stop and think because measuring fillet weld sizes can be done very cost effective with the go/no-go gages that we presently use so he's right...why add more expensive tools.

...whereas scanning welds with a UT machine well, requires a UT machine vs a $45 hand held gage.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2011 16:23
Henry,

I do hope you know my comment was very tongue in cheek sarcasm.  Wealthy I am not.  I'm with you, I would sure like to play with one a little.  But give them about 5-10 years to get all the bugs out and bring the price down. 

John,

Maybe I misunderstood.  And maybe those UT with phased array are more.  But I thought I had seen some nice UT machines lately at about 3500.  Maybe with all the cal blocks and extra angles, and couplant, etc you could end up close to 5000. 

Anyway,  Have a Great Day, and weekend,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 16:33
Brent
They may have come down in price. The last "used" Krautkramer UT machine(USN52L) that I purchased was $4500, and my USN58L (not phased array) ended up well North of $8500 when it was all fitted out.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 17:53
I just purchased a USM Go a few months ago. It set me back around 10k by the time you add in all the little extras like cables, transducers, etc. Its funny, the weight of the package goes down, but the price stays about the same. Not that I'm complaining. I love toting around a 2.5 pound rather than my original 45 pound behemouth.

It interesting you compare the price of the fillet gage to the laser instrument. It reminds me of the "old days" when we tapped the weld to see if it sounded solid. :wink::grin:

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2011 20:40
SSSOOO...  Instead of being a 'Rapper'... Al is a 'TAPPER'.  Find out more about you every day.

Thanks for the pricing information guys.  I am still looking at trying to add UT to my certs ASAP.  I already know it will take a lot of hours and money.  Even if I only get to Level I I think the knowledge will be worth it. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 20:59
Tapping has its drawback and limitations. You always tend to jump when someone on the other side asks, "Who's there?"

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 21:00
Hi Brent!

You didn't offend me at all Friend!:lol::wink::cool:

I was just having fun with some "Cainism" that's all... "Cain Po!" What a joke that guy is!:lol::yell::lol::yell::grin::grin::roll::roll::roll::wink::cool:

Al is really a closet Tap dancer as he used to "dance with the welds & the steel way up high in the sky!":lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::eek::grin::roll::lol::wink::cool:
Al is truly one of the BEST!!!:lol::yell::lol::yell::grin::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2011 21:01
If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?:wink:

Al
Parent - - By alan domagala (**) Date 10-15-2011 01:13 Edited 10-15-2011 01:18
Inspection Trends Oct. 2011

The "Lets wear a skin tight green jacket" issue!
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 10-15-2011 06:24
LOL, I said to myself, "Is that a tailored greeny".
Parent - By ross (***) Date 10-24-2011 17:29
When that button pops it's gonna put out an eye.:wink:
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / October 2011