Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Nat-Gas Compressor Station Work?
- - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-14-2011 13:43
Some jobs are opening up in my area for Nat-Gas Compressor Station work for welders.  API-1104 basic 6G test followed by training in all the other tests.
Anyone out there do this type of work?  Wondering what it's like as relocation would be involved.  Thanks
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 10-15-2011 02:31
Its good work if you're a good fitter, you must be a good downhill welder too. (most is shot to B31.3.) In this line of work they won't hesitate to run your ass off.
Parent - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-15-2011 13:34
It's a union position and the interviewer said they want a good downhand welder to start BUT it's still considered "entry level" until you do all the tests according to the way they want it done.  In other words, lots of training will be required due to safety record of the company which is the best in the industry.  If you come in with a "I already know how to do this" attitude, they will run you out very fast.  That's what they told me anyway.  Pay is $30+ an hour with full benny package and sporatic overtime/callouts.  It's not a contractor job but a perm maintenance position with the compressor station/pipe line owner.  Huge multi-national company.  Thanks for the info
Parent - - By okie11 (*) Date 10-15-2011 02:59
what area is that
Parent - - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-15-2011 13:39
Marcellus Shall gas.  Ohio and PA.  It's not contractor work but permanent hire by an energy company.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 10-15-2011 23:00
Go for it. It sounds like a good long term job.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-15-2011 04:22
I've done PQR consultation for ANGI in Wisconsin and they build natural gas compression stations.

They still mainline GTAW on the units... Other builders have done GTAW roots with FCAW fill.

Like anything fuel related there have been ups and downs over the years... The work must be high quality... But my opinion is that there will be growth in compressed natural gass... It's just a matter of landing with a firm that will also grow.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Nat-Gas Compressor Station Work?