Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / State Certification
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-02-2002 18:55
I have had people flash a card around that they say, that they are certified by the state to certain processes and positions, and that they can take that card any go anywhere and weld.
As far as I can see by reading what's on the card, they were certified by the state for Highway Department work. He says all he has to do to stay certified is to mail in his card when it expires and they will send him a new one.

Has anyone else ran across this before?

I made the guy re-test anyway when he came to work for us.
John Wright
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 12-02-2002 19:13
In states that I have worked the card is only good if you are working for the orginal employeer (who you took the test under). The employeer must certify that the welder has used that process on within the last xx days to maintain the certification.

Now , if the welder paid for and took the test as an independent contractor that he must certify that he has used the welding process withh the past XX days, to maintain his certification. I believe that an state authorized third-party inspection company must witness and certify.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-02-2002 20:20
Thanks for your reply,
I had heard about these cards saying "state certified". but I had recently had one shown to me. I read it over, but it is very generic looking, it does not say what processes, or positions tested, or thicknesses, on it anywhere. But he told me he had to pass SAW, SMAW, FCAW tests in all sorts of positions on 30 in. test coupons before they would issue him that card.
I usually re-test everyone we hire for welding and fitting positions. Proof of working with the different processes within the last 6 months has always been required under D1.1.
John Wright
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 12-02-2002 21:49
I am very curious about a card from any state. I am not aware of any state sanctioned certification programs. Maybe I live a sheltered life. If anyone has such a certification, would you please post where and how you obtained it.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By underwooddl Date 12-03-2002 04:35
Unsure about state certification for bridge welding, but some states do administer certification of welders for piping and/or pressure vessels. One example is the State of Oklahoma Welding Law (59 O.S./1624-1641) which is administered by the OK Dept. of Labor, see
http://www.state.ok.us/~okdol/ssd/weldinglaws_rules.pdf

Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 12-03-2002 11:02
Thank you. I simply wanted to ascertain that these certifications actually existed, having never seen them myself.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-03-2002 11:50
Mike,
The guy that came to our shop, he says his card is valid in West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, and I think he said Delaware. I'm not certain about Delaware. Anyway, I was like you, I'd never seen one, and didn't understand how it worked. I thought it was something he was just trying to boast about.

Thanks guys for your replies, I thought this guy was just pulling my leg.
John Wright
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-10-2002 15:35
Wisconsin also has a Structural Steel Welding test. You must be certified as a Weld Test Conductor by the State. The exam for a test conductor is very similar to that of a CWI. Part of the test involves using D1.1 for acceptance criterial.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 12-03-2002 12:28
We encounter this issue often.

I would offer the following observations: Some of the states only test the welder in the 3G & 4G position (for structural). New York only has RT for the acceptance criteria (no VT if you can believe it).

We always administer a 3 position structural test (3/8" plate) to new employees regardless of their "certs in hand".

Charles Hall.

ps, Sherm, I know that MD, NY, MA, ME and CT have welder cert programs. We run into the "I have state certs issue" mostly on DOT jobs. Occasionally, we see it on ASME jobs as well.
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 12-03-2002 15:17
Thank you for the information. I always administer my own testing here regardless of any certifications. I do like to be on top of things like these state cerfifications when they are presented to me by prospective employees. I hate being the only one on the block who doesn't know what's going on.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-03-2002 17:33
Hey Mike,
This was the first time I'd seen them also!
John Wright
Parent - By WBI (*) Date 12-03-2002 23:45
Washington State has a certification program that looks a lot like AWS. Another certification that shows up on the west coast is issued by the City of Los Angeles. It's a two part test that requires passing a written code and practice exam and a practical test from the appropriate AWS code (D1.1; D1.2; D1.3; D1.4)

The D1.1 performance test is 1" plate for unlimited thickness using F4 electrode in 3G and 4G position. No distinction on up or down on the vertical.

The sheet steel prerformance test leaves a lot to be desired, but it's a general purpose test for steel studs and decking.

The LA cert is pretty much accepted throughout Southern California
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 12-11-2002 13:22
For North and South Carolina anyone welding on state bridges are required to take their test (AWS D1.5) at a qualified independent testing laboratory. North Carolina requires a retest every 2 years. South Carolina will allow the welder to just request an extension for another 2 years. Some states make up their own rules like requiring a 2F test even it a 3G and 4G test was taken. South Carolina requires a minimum of a 2G and 2F for DOT welding.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / State Certification