Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / respirator hood
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 10-16-2011 18:56
I was thinking about getting the respirator hood from Miller or 3M for some tank/ confined space work I've been doing. Anyone have one of these? Do they work very well? What do you like or dislike about them? I'm concerned about the long term health effects of this kind of work so any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
GH Weidman
Parent - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-17-2011 01:34
Long term health effects??  I'd be more concerned about what type of facility owner would allow you to enter a confined space without a complete, defined entry plan!  How about an MSDS about what materials were in the tank? OSHA confined space training certificate?  Resuce plan and confined space attendant reqiurements and login/logout documents?  Respirator fit test? How about a CALIBRATED confined space monitor that sniffs for explosive gases? O2 deficeincy? Carbon Monoxide?  What type of product was stored in these tanks?  Anything chlorine related could be toxic in one or two breaths.  

A "1mancrew" working in tanks, regardless of one end being open or not, is a SERIOUS safety violation.  You get no second chances and if you think you need a respirator hood, chances are you need much more.

Just trying to save your life as I've seen people dragged out of tanks in body bags and they were using ALL the above mentioned safety measures.  Hope this helps.
- - By jbndt (**) Date 10-16-2011 20:34
Glenn,

For tank and confined space work, you MAY want to look at Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or other “fresh air” gear.

Most “respirator” hoods are OK for some particulates, dust or smoke but won’t do you a bit of good in a “Bad Air” situation.

I hope you also have your paperwork, sniffers, communication gear, rescue gear and a “trusted safety crew” on hand prior to entering those places …
Too many times I’ve seen “fire-watch flunkies” tasked with watching “the hole” and they are NOT paying attention!
Instead they’re away from the hole or hatch, B-Sing, texting, or day dreaming while listening to their I-pods.

Your best bet is another welder who is sharing the work in the hole … you watch him, he watches you. Or, HE rides herd on the “rescue crew”.

Just my tuppence …
Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 10-16-2011 20:50
Thanks for the reply. The tanks I'm working in have half of one end cut off o i'm mainly worried about air quality of wielding/ grinding new and old steel in a ten ft diameter tank.

Thanks
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 10-16-2011 21:39
Glenn,

Google “PAPR” you’ll get a BUNCH of info!

I used a Speedglas model.
Great for what you’re talking about!

Get one with a washable foam 'pre-filter' ...
You'll save a ton of money on the pleated filters!

Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By Black Wolf (**) Date 10-16-2011 22:34 Edited 10-16-2011 22:39
I use a 3M/Speedglas unit.  The part number in Canada is CA16-0905-SGXX.  It is a complete hard hat/clear visor unit with a PAPR.

I use it for much the same work as you described and for my application, it works pefectly.

I use it for SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW and CAC-A.  My primary use is Mild Steel and Stainless Steel.  Once and a while Aluminum.

Seldom do I work on "Clean" material - I repair rental equipment that is contaminated with products from oil and gas well drilling and completions.  With the add-on filters, I have a much better margin of safety against all the materials that the wash bay guys fail to remove from the asset before I work on it.

The unit I use is HEAVY and most would find it uncomfortable - Especially guys with long thin necks.

Despite the weight, I wouldn't give up having the clean air, and the wide field of vision of the grinding lens with the welding lens in the raised position.

Should your application require it, the helmet I listed above can be either converted to, or ordered as a unit that works with an oil-less compressor for supplied as as opposed to the PAPR.

If weight is an issue, or the hard had is not needed, I would suggest you take a look at the new 9100FX Air.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/Speedglas/WeldingShields/EyeFaceProtection/9100Shield/Speedglas9100FXAir/

If I could do it over again, I would go with the 9100FX Air.

Hope that helps.

Have a good day.
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 10-16-2011 23:47
Thanks for your input. Why would you go with the other model; the 9100FX Air? The weight?

Thanks
Parent - - By Black Wolf (**) Date 10-17-2011 01:12
The unit I have is basically a hard hat with a foam lining for side impact - It fits like a hard had, and at times is about as comfortable as a hard had.  The 9100FX Air uses the new headgear with the 2 bands over the top of the head for improved comfort, and is infinitely more adjustable.  For a guy like me with a larger than average head, there won't be much "adjustment" either way, but I would like not having bands crossing the top of my head.  I can use the helmet laying on my side and it stays on, but I have a short, thick neck, so I don't have an issue with the weight.  I can FEEL it, but it doesn't bother me much.

The 16-0905-SGXX has the air hose attaching behind your head at the base of the hard hat and the air flows over your head and blows downward over the face.  Feels like air conditioning.

The 9100FX Air has the air hose attached to the left rear side of the headgear and air flows along the left jaw and is blown directly towards the nose/mouth breathing zone.

Dunno if it makes a difference, but I would definitely like to try it someday.

With the 16-0905-SGXX I can remove the welding lens portion of the helmet if I am going to be grinding for an extended period of time.  I do not know if the 9100FX Air is capable of that.

The 16-0905-SGXX has an incredible field of view when grinding.  From the pictures I suspect the 9100FX Air is much the same.

I can just see the 9100FX Air as being a significantly lighter package and if it is more comfortable, then the owner will USE IT which is the whole point of a product like this.

The company is ordering my Apprentice an Optrel (Sperian) Satellite helmet with the OS100 PAPR system.  Joe (Apprentice) won't use the helmet I have so they are buying a lighter package for him.  He is giving up A LOT with the lens but all he has used is Miller and Optrel so he won't know what he is missing.

Have a Good Night
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 10-17-2011 03:18
Thanks for taking the time.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-17-2011 03:53
friend of mine moved back to VA to work at caterpillar and said they all got the new speed glass with fresh air and likes them but hell there 1500 or so, i go to work Tuesday for a shipyard and they use 3M 2097 filters for welding. if you gotta buy well buy the 3m with 2097 filters if they buy well use the speed glass fresh air. I'll see what he says tomorrow on the speed glass fresh air and get back with ya. 3M 2097 was always fine for confined space with fresh air going in it
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / respirator hood