Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about your LWS
- - By weldwade (***) Date 10-17-2011 18:50
I went to my local AirGas today to pick up a few things. I needed to get some 3"x1" SS crimp wire wheels that fit an arbor that I use to clean alum. Needed a new pair of Tilman 850M. a 5" or 7" knotted root pass wire wheel and some various 5" grinding wheels. And finally some plasma consumables. The only thing I walked out of the store with was a hat because nothing was in stock...
What are you guys seeing out there at the big chain welding supply stores? I ended up ordering the stuff I needed and hopefully it will be in next week. For stuff other than gasses I am seriously considering the internet now because I have to order what I need anyway and the internet places will deliver via ups to my house! I wish the old mom and pop place was still in business they always had what I needed, but they were bought out by AirGas! The thing that pisses me off about AirGas now is almost everything in the store is Radnor made in China crap. I won't use that crap even if its free!!!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-17-2011 19:05
I have that same issue with Airgas in particular.  They will not stock anything name brand here ...only the Radnor stuff and their supply of IN STOCK rods is pretty weak as well.   I avoid them in general.  Basically I look at them as the Wal Mart of welding supplies.   My preferred LWS however keeps about everything I ever need in stock and usually a choice of brands...they answer the phone, they bring it to me if I need them to ....so....they get most of my money:grin:   Sometimes they just will not get off a price though ...so if there is a big difference I go to the internet too.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-17-2011 19:51
Many of the other suppliers have much better stock in my area as well Wade.

Though I'm surprised at some of the items yours didn't have.  Should have been stock items. 

But I am seeing that in the grocery store and many other places right now.  Stock is way down.  Everybody is watching the overhead.  What sells and sells fast is what gets shelf space.

Have a Great Day,  Brent

PS: Wade, I'll try to call you this evening.  I didn't have any free time at all this past weekend.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 10-18-2011 00:17
Sounds good Brent. Glad to hear you have been busy.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 10-17-2011 20:13
Airgas SUX! I used to use National Welders and another welding supply that was privately owned. Then National Welders got bought out by Airgas and the mom and pop got bought out by Praxair. Airgas kept charging me rent on more gas cylinders than I actually had and Praxairs invoicing is so confusing , you never know what you owe them.  I'm 50 miles away from any welding supply so I am really dependant on the truck coming by. They used to be like a rolling store. Now they don't have anything unless you order it ahead of time.They don't even keep soapstone or torch strikers on the truck.  I've been thinking about buying online myself.
Parent - - By pipeliner88 (**) Date 10-17-2011 20:52
Same thing here with airgas. They never have it in stock. Its always," well, we can order it if you want".
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 10-17-2011 21:20
Above reasons are why Airgas lost several thousands of dollars worth of business from the school at which I work (but only for the next 4 days)
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 10-17-2011 22:39
I've noticed the same thing with the local Matheson store. Went in the other day, wanted a box of 6" wire wheels a new hat and some cover lenses, and I wanted to check the price on a center finder so I could have one in the shop and truck. The shelf with the grinding wheels etc. was close to empty but I did find a couple, but all they had for hats was one size fits some. They did have the cover lenses, but no center finder and I have noticed that their supply of rods is small with just the basics available. They also have the "we can order it if you really want it" answer on the end of their tongue. It really torques me when thats the answer I get when all I want is mirror!!!!
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-17-2011 22:51
I've been buying off the internet and even more lately. I needed a attachment for a welding shield to a hard hat and the local guy just called today to tell me it is in. this part has taken a week and a half to get in while online it was cheaper including the shipping and I got the part in about three days.

This local store never seemed that fast to getting stuff so I figured it was best to go ahead and order my part online incase this guy took to long and it was a smart move, I will still go pick the part up from the local guy though, this is a cheap part so I'd liked to have two anyways.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-18-2011 01:39
I deal with an independent 90% of the time and rarely have issues. As far as Airgas though I live in a small town, everybody in the store knows my name, typically have what I need and if not will get it quick if I really need something. Usually spend 30 minutes in the store yackin' it up with the manager and counter folks. Might be the difference in small town stores and city joints.....or it could just be the people.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 10-18-2011 02:57
Airgas here in Midland Odessa area is same situation. Some D/A behind the counter who doesnt have a clue about what you need or really anything for that matter. Praxair is typical "If we dont have it, we can get it" but "we always try to help you out" like youre doing me a favor for doing what you are supposed to be getting paid to do anyway. Its rediculous. The local Private Owned supply always has what I need and nine more on the shelf behind it. Ive gone to getting everything other than our gasses off the internet. The sad thing is I run a fairly large operation and a busy one for that matter but it doesnt matter to them that I just ordered 200 5"X3/32 wheels and 200 5"x1/4 wheels and two pallets of wire and rod five minutes ago from an online supplier who gives me a better deal with shipping included than they do down the street. Plus I didnt have to waste an hour of my day waiting for someone to type the same thing into their computer to end up having to order it from the same people I just did anyway!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-18-2011 03:03
We HAD 2 Mom & Pop places in Pottstown, Airgas bought 'em both and consolidated it to one location. The helpfull people moved to locations closer to where they lived, and the helpless ones are still here.

In Reading, about 20 miles away there is an Airgas and a GTS. I had been dealing with a good guy at GTS, hope He is still there.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 10-18-2011 04:58
I own my bottles so no worries on over charging. Ideal with an independant ex rig welder for all my supplies and in 10 years there was 1 time i had to wait for rods to come in other than that no problems other than inflation.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-18-2011 13:43
Hey guys,
After reading the responses, I feel really lucky to have such a great Airgas here where I live. The store is only 7mi from me, stocks a superb supply of everything I usually need, refills my smaller bottles(40cf) with some odd mixes(98/2) I need on occasion, & the service is excellent. They do have some great sales & I get a price that is equal to any internet price on "most" items. I do buy online for specific needs & if I know the price can't be beat, especially like the 12-15# spools of 4043/5356 I picked up last year for under $35 shipped. The guys at the LWS are quite knowledgeable, will order anything you need, & will look up anything you may need info for. They give me contractor prices even though I'm just a small operator, so I give them my business & recommendations. They seem to service/supply most of the shops around here & have (2) large delivery trucks on the road all day long, & have a stock of several thousand bottles of various sizes. Since I own my bottles, they exchange with no problem, & simply charge me the $7 test fee on the exchange if the bottle test is expired. Like a smart business operation, every $$$$$$ incoming is what is important no matter how large or smell. I guess they have a smart manager.....

Denny
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 10-18-2011 23:34 Edited 10-18-2011 23:41
We are having the same problem with the AG in Longview TX.  I've had box of number 12 TIG cups on order for more than a month and they still haven't come in.   Or we ordered an assortment of gasses to be delivered.  By Wednesday they had yet to arrive and the boss had to drive there to pick em up. Then today all he was able to get was gas they didn't have gloves or anything else I asked for but the same old we can irder it for you.  Thanks but no we will get back in near ft worth.

I did go into an independent SOBOLS in Longview and they said that ultra flex lead was on indefinite back order.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 10-18-2011 23:38
OK I gotta ask, since alot of you are using internet companies, which ones are you using? yorkiepap you must live close to the store the other stores call to fill the orders they can't.:grin::grin:
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-19-2011 12:49
Hey Pickupman,
I use Weldingdepot.com for some MIG/TIG wire that the LWS doesn't carry & Barrenweldingsupplies.com for TIG consumables/tungstens. Since they are only 7mi. from me, it is very cost-effective doing business there. Here's the websites I use.....

Denny

http://www.weldingdepot.com/welding_supply.html

http://stores.ebay.com/Barren-Welding-Supply
Parent - - By weldermanjim Date 10-19-2011 14:37
I have used RAM Welding Supply out of California for over 15 years. Free Freight to western US  and only a $2 packing charge no matter how big the order. If something you need isn't shown in the catalog or online, just call them, they probably have it or will ship it faster then the LWS. Website is www.RamWeldingSupply.com
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 10-20-2011 00:01 Edited 10-20-2011 00:04
I walked out of mine the other day with nothing, was simple stuff too like soapstone and tip cleaners,  lead crimp on eyes, didn't even bother to stand around and BS with them. Pathetic. All I got was a dumb look when they open the drawers and they are empty. Been ordering more.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about your LWS