Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / other side weld symbol
- - By fit2inspect (**) Date 10-19-2011 15:40
I have a view on a print I'm working on. The drawing on the left shows an arrow pointing to the hidden cap plate behind the padeye. I believe the drafter's idea of other side is incorrect. I was told the drafter is telling me other side of the padeye.  I thought regardless, the arrow pointing to the outside corner joint, which could only be welded from the outside anyway, the welding symbol should be drawn on the arrow side. This drafter did it again on the next symbol below. I know he wants to fill weld the natural flare bevel on the pipe and add 1/2" weld on top of that. But again he draws the welding symbol other side of the reference line. Is this a correct way to draft this symbol? Could someone give me a reference I could look up, showing a similar situation? I don't want to ask the drafter or engineer just yet unless I have something besides my WIT book to show him.
Thanks
Attachment: othersidesymbol-1.pdf (39k)
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-19-2011 16:04
To clear up this interpretation conflict have the drafter draw up a cross section view of the weld.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-19-2011 18:12
AWS A2.4 2007 is the official AWS Standard Symbols for Welding.
I don't have time to go through your sketch but don't be surprised if it's just a simple mistake.  Our detailers get flare bevels and fillet weld symbols mixed up no matter how many times I point it out. Also the all around circle, it looks like there is limited access for you to install that weld.
Good luck
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-20-2011 00:31
Every welding symbol on the sketch is deficient in one way or another. Take up a collection for the poor lad and buy him a copy of A2.4.

Another solution is to send him to ASME's short course titled "Practical Welding Technology". There might be some hope of saving him yet!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-20-2011 10:32
It looks like your draftsman interprets "other side" to mean "other side of view", (since the weld symbol points to the unseen hidden lines).
Al is right, there are some other weld symbol problems.  A2.4 would solve all your problems (it includes lots of examples).
Tyrone
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 10-20-2011 17:52
Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I'll look into that A2.4. Your right about the draftsman interpretion. He want me to know that weld is on the other side of the padeye view. New engineer, he's also related, so I had to do it very softly. I just didn't want him using that style on something else down the road, when I wasn't around to catch it. Thanks again.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-20-2011 19:25
Iv'e had detailers and draftsman ask me; what weld symbols should I put here?

I guess I have to do everyone's job at times.  It's not just you unfortunatly:wink:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-20-2011 19:32
Isn't that the truth. 

Seems like with more Special Inspections being required, everyone thinks WE are their QC.  It is hard to get them to understand the difference between QC and QA. 

We get asked all kinds of layout questions, measurement questions, QC questions, interpretation questions.  How do you say 'RFI' and figure it out for yourself.  If I wanted to do ALL your work I would have contracted the job myself.

There is good reason to be involved in a project from start to finish and be available to assist with SOME questions, but really, some of these people haven't a clue and on the next job it's the same questions and they still don't have a code book.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / other side weld symbol