Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / New to me...welding studs in boiler flanges
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-21-2011 02:44
Got a call on a low pressure water boiler (under 50 psi).   They want me to replace broken studs/bolts that were plug(??) welded into a flange.   I never encountered welded in studs on any work like this I have ever done.  Any code references, resources or sage advice on the matter is appreciated.  Sounds like a bad practice to me from the get go...but maybe there is some accepted method?  Are there special studs that retain their specs after welding ???  I know a very good high pressure boiler QC I intend to inquire from tomorrow if possible...but I would still like to hear some thoughts here.  Thanks for any help in advance.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-21-2011 03:33
Tommy, residential boilers often have studs "stud welded" in place [no drilled hole, no weld on back side].

Have You seen the actual parts, or are You going on what someone described to You?
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-21-2011 04:28
Hi Dave!!  how are ya doing?

Pics should be in my email in the morning....just had a short phone call on it.   It is a commercial job tho...large building.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-21-2011 19:25
Laws that would govern welding of existing boilers (and pressure vessels) would be State and/or jurisdictional.

In Oregon, specifications for welding on boilers and/or pressure vessels fall under the Oregon Boiler & Pressure Vessel Law if it generates more than 15 psig or  water over 160 psig and/or temperatures over 250 degrees F.

Although local jurisdictional laws may require stricter specifications.

Also in Oregon, pipefitters, boilermakers and welders must hold a State license to perform such work.

QCRobert
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-21-2011 20:18
yep judging by what I have learned in the last few hours with some phone calls I ain't touching it.   Anytime I ever welded on anything it was under another company and inspections, licenses etc. were all in place.  This is not the case here. Thx for the replies...I am over this one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / New to me...welding studs in boiler flanges