Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / measuring fillet weld
- - By visualguy Date 10-24-2011 04:05
This may be a stupid question, however, when measuring a 5/8" fillet on a 5.5 degree skewed t joint to D1,1  I am of the opinion that since it is between 80 and 100 degree angle that its legs and effective throat can be measured with the common concave fillet gauge, I am being told this is incorrect and I am to use only the convex fillet gauge to measure the legs and just eyeball the profile,  I say that the concave gauge gives me a quantitative measure of if that "diagramatical" triangle  is inside the fillet and I have an "acceptable profile" per the D1.1 figure.
Any help in properly inspecting these fillets is appreciated
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-24-2011 05:26
"Eyeball the profile", hmm, going to take me a while to find the guidelines for that in D1.1.
Parent - - By visualguy Date 10-24-2011 12:07
exactly the point I am trying to make by insisting on using at min. the concave gauge to prove acceptable profile
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-26-2011 17:23
It depends of the contour of the weld. If the weld is convex, a convex gage should be used, if it is concave, then use a concave gage. If you can't tell, check both legs with the convex gage and the throat with a concave gage. Report the smallest of the three readings.

If the dyhedral angle is such that a regular fillet gage will not seat properly, you are using the wrong type of gage. Other styles of fillet gages are available or can be made using "band strapping" used to secure loads to pallets.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-26-2011 17:36
Al,

You said:   Other styles of fillet gages are available or can be made using "band strapping" used to secure loads to pallets.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you some day take some pictures of some of those "custom" band strapping gagues you have made and tell some more about how you made your calculations putting them together?

I would be very interested, and I would wager some of the other inspectors here would be too.

Thanks

:Lar
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-26-2011 17:45
It sounds like a good article for an upcoming issue of Inspection Trends. It would be a little involved for the limited space available in the Forum.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-26-2011 18:41
Do it!

And thank you Al!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-26-2011 21:03
UUMM... Is this where we just push the ...'LIKE' button that I can't find. 

It would make a good article.  And I think we agree on just the right man to do it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By visualguy Date 10-26-2011 20:43
thanks Al. The concave and convex gauge fit within  approx .002 of flat, which in my mind is sufficient to get reliable measurements, The idea of either custom made gauges and or beveling the  end of the concave  and convex gauge was brought up. However I think the argument that if the convex gauge sits well enough to use effectively, than why would someone have a problem with the concave side sitting improperly to measure theoretical throat, won out... at least for now anyway.
I think the major problem now, and with many other inspectors is, how close is close enough or is acceptance concrete. For example the unacceptable profiles in 6. whatever it is in D1,1 shows NO part of the fillet can drop inside the theoretical or diagrammatic triangle. In drawings that is much easier than in reality
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / measuring fillet weld