Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Carbide tip metal chop saws
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 10-24-2011 20:58
I have heard of these saws and thought they were a total joke then I saw one on a job the other day and I was completly impressed..

So my question is..... Which one do you guys like best..?? Millwalkee, DeWalt, Makita, or Evolution..

I want to buy one and am just looking for some good reviews..

Thanks
  RC
Parent - By metalmelter Date 10-24-2011 22:49
i personaly have a millwalkee but run the evolution blades. have heard good things about evolution saws but never used oned. make sure saw is up to speed before beginning cut it will help blade life
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 10-25-2011 00:02
Have had good luck with the makita a friend of mine has one called a Metal Devil it also is a nice saw they are great for small bore pipe nice straight cuts.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-25-2011 01:11 Edited 10-25-2011 10:15
Steel Max. The best you can buy
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-25-2011 01:52
I'm glad you brought this up. Was looking at them yesterday. I too have seen them in action and used them, they are 10 times better than those abrasive blades. Wish I could buy just the saw without Milwaukee, dewalts over priced blade. Darn thing adds $200.00 to the cost and would rather buy my own preferred brand and save $100
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 10-25-2011 03:16
The Steel Max looks like a good one. http://steelmax.com/pdf/S14-Saw_0611.pdf
I would like to see one in person. At 64 lbs it is quite hefty. And I see a price of $550.

I would NOT recommend the Dewalt dry cut saw. The base is a very light gauge material and will flex, bow, and is not flat. I don't like the vice too much either.

I have got a lot of use out of a Jancy Slugger.   http://www.toolfetch.com/metal-cut-saws-mccs14.shtml
The only problem I've had is with the slip jaw that the vice screw tightens against. It  has worn out twice. I finally sawed a 3/4, with a nut in half and welded it on eliminating the quick adjustment but got ride of the vice slipping when tightening.

I've seen but not used an Evolution saw. They look pretty good and are cheaper than the Slugger.

Blades, I've bought a bunch of them. I like the Tenryu blades. The Evolution blades are cheaper but don't have as many teeth as others. I don't know if you get more saws per dollar with the Evolution, Tenryu, or any other. The Evolution blade did seem to have a little more vibration than other blades.

You will need an aluminum blade for aluminum. Much cutting of Al with the steel blade will clog up the blade. The stainless blades are really expensive and if misused (too hot) will really disappoint.

Floyd
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-25-2011 04:57
The base on the Dewalt is cheesy. Mine is f---ed up by the previous owner.

The blade slot in the base is all gouged out from who knows what.
They had welded something to one corner of the base and ground through removing it.

The vise has some quick adjust gismo that isn't worth a hoot. I just tightened up the fastners when it was square.

The motor, drive gears Etc. seem OK. It works well in spite of all the mentioned stuff.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-25-2011 02:42
I have the Dewalt. I got is used and a little abused with no blade. I use the Hetta/Bullet blade, but it doesn't show on the website presently. I think I have a 66 tooth on it now.

These run MUCH slower than an abrasive saw. Previous owner of mine uswd abrasive blades, doubt that worked well.
Some guys go out of busness for a reason...

I have an Evolution RAGE "skillsaw" for metal, it works fine, but I thought it would be built more heavily.
Parent - By Roadtrash (*) Date 10-25-2011 03:24
I have a Slugger saw and use the slugger blades. Blades are only about $100. I love my saw. Better cuts than an abrasive blade, and since you can sharpen the blades I believe they are cheaper to operate than the abrasive saws in the long run.... Unless you get a bad helper who happens to trash a brand new blade on the first cut.....
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-25-2011 12:39
Hey guys,
I got my dry cut saw about (6) yrs ago.....the best, IMO, the Porter Cable Model 1410/14". We had (2) where I worked that had been run brutally for the 11yrs I was there & only (1) hiccup, a broken return spring, & I fixed that in 15min. They are heavy(65+#), very accurate mitres, heavy vise, & frame. The sad fact is they were discontinued a couple years ago & I believe were bought out by B & D. When I got mine, $240 shipped & I recommended them to some of the fellows on another website, & they got theirs from the same seller. You may get lucky & find one on C/L or the classified/web search.

I use the Freud Diablo Metal Devil blades exclusively as no other has come close to the service I get from them. They are C7/72T blades, & you want a blade with a minimum of a C5 grade tung. I get 1200-1600 cuts before sharpening is needed & I got an excellent little blade sharpener from HF that sharpens them quite easily & accurately. I do replace the tung teeth myself as I have tung. replacements, or you can send them to a blade sharpener outfit to replace/sharpen them....usually less than $25 total. I have cut 3" solid HR/CR, 4" pipe, & all the aluminum I use. NO STAINLESS!!!!!! When cutting aluminum, I simply spray the blade with some WD-40 & it cuts clean, no buildup on the teeth, & cuts are almost burr-free.

Here's some pics of the setup I made, small footprint yet full-function, some material cuts, & the blades I use. There was a review that Sears sells a close match, I believe the Rage 3, not sure. Here's some pics & site where I get my blades.

Denny

http://www.cripedistributing.com/freud-diablo-steel-demon-ferrous-metal-blade-p-1467.html
Attachment: cs1.jpg (78k)
Attachment: cs5.jpg (79k)
Attachment: P_Cablevise1.jpg (41k)
Attachment: P_Cablevise2.jpg (35k)
Attachment: bevholder2.jpg (34k)
Attachment: p_cutoffs1.jpg (35k)
Attachment: chop6.jpg (38k)
Attachment: chop3.jpg (47k)
Attachment: bladesh1.jpg (42k)
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 10-27-2011 01:00
Yorkiepap,
Thanks for the info on the blades. I will try one.
Looking at the pictures you posted of the Porter Cable saw, it looks just about like my Jancy Slugger. I would bet they are made in the same place, the same saw.
Floyd
Parent - By jpill (**) Date 10-25-2011 13:04
I like the BEWO CP350, but it's not a portable saw.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 10-25-2011 17:00
We use the Evolution saw you can get the blades for steel,aluminum and SS.When we frist got ours it would cut square like it had been machine and it still cut straight you have to put more time in setting it up.We have clamp ours to I-beam to cut up high.I think you will be surprised when you use one.

M.G.
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 10-25-2011 23:03
I have the EVOLUTION 14" & LOVE it.You can saddle a BUNCH of 2" in a hurry
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-25-2011 23:08
If your thinking Steelmax check your local Airgas. Its on their website so I called my guy and was pleased with the price. Think part number is RGMS14.
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 10-26-2011 21:30
Shawn ,I paid $300 for my Evolution
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-27-2011 01:59
This is the one I have. Its a little pricey but it is worth EVERY PENNY ! Makes all of the rest of the look like toys. I also have one of their Mag Drills. It is also one of the Best I have used

http://steelmax.com/s14-dry-cutting-saw.php
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-27-2011 09:16
That's the one I've been looking at, base looks solid and the knob just looks more thought out than everybody else's. Jancy's is a beast also but their knob looks like an after thought. Think I'll get the Steelmax myself, just a matter of convincing myself to come off the money!!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-27-2011 13:24
You will never regret the Steelmax. What kind of price are you getting on it ?
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 10-28-2011 02:47
Where is the steelmax saw made?

Chris
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-28-2011 11:21
Not sure, I will look. Where ever it is made, it is by far the best I have ever used
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 10-28-2011 11:59
I used Cactus's Steel Max mag drill.  I have always been a Millwalkee guy butter his Mag Drill went through 1/2 plate like butter.   Hogan makes a tough looking Mag Drill too.  I havent had a chance to use one though..!  I wish Hogan made a dry cut saw.
- By soneuv Date 04-21-2018 04:53 Edited 04-21-2018 08:08
I like my Evolution https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-bow-saw/ It uses a different type of blade its classed as a cold cut saw.No heat and minimal sparks Replacement blade is over a 100$. Chopsaws are convenient, they're quick and they're very portable. The discs don't last long if you're cutting solid stuff but thinnish wall box section and angle can be fairly light on the discs if you don't try to force it too much. Evolution stuff seems reasonably good, used an older version of the chop saw, the handheld versions and the mag drills. They seem to make good value stuff- perhaps not the best quality, but it all works very well.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Carbide tip metal chop saws