Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What is carbon arc welding?
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 12-04-2002 16:43
What is it used for? What are it's advantages and disadvantages? Just curious, I've seen the term mentioned a few times, but have no idea about the details. If there are any good links, please post the URL's...

Thx!
Dave
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-04-2002 16:49
It's an antiquated open arc process using a single or multiple carbon electrodes and typically does not provide any type of sheilding medium.

I tried it once when I was a kid using an ancient wood-handled electrode holder and fluxed metal by the guy that taught me how to weld with stick. It sucked and I never tried it again.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2002 17:30
On the other hand, Carbon Arc Cutting(gouging) is a widely used process. Mainly used for cleaning(back gouging) out the second side of welds when full pen is required, also use it to cut or bevel (mild steel) with.(an air supply is also required)
John Wright
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-05-2002 13:48
Just to add something to DGXL's reply:
1st. It was the first process for electric arc welding that was invented, now completely out of use.
2nd. In that process, the filler metal consisted of a rod the welder held on one hand (on the other one he had the carbon electrode holder).
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-05-2002 14:05
I guess it was hard to keep that arc going and add filler at the same time, because the carbon rod was being used up as well.
John Wright
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 12-05-2002 17:39
It takes a little while to get used to but it isn't that bad.
Does fine on lite gage materials.

Can you even get the carbons anymore?
And aren't they a little harder than regular gouging electrodes?

Thanks,

Brian Maas
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What is carbon arc welding?