Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lincoln SP100 Mig Question
- - By cpagan1 Date 12-04-2002 17:17
Hello Everyone,

Can you use straight Argon instead of Argon/CO2 for solid wire mig welding. The reason I ask is I bought the welder used and came with a full bottle of Argon ( usually used for aluminum, I understand ). I've using flux core wire and have been able to get a decent bead ( for what I used it for ) but I was hoping that using an inert gas would help all the spattering I get in the proximity of the weld and maybe flatten out the bead. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Claudio
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2002 17:41
We use 100% Co2 with the flux core wire at our shop. Depends on the brand and composition of the wire as to what shielding gas is recommended. The bead can be run very flat and splatter is minimal considering we use 3/32" dia. wire requiring more amperage. Check the position of your wire, you may be running an any position (ie. E71T-1) wire that freezes alot quicker than the E70T-1 that we use in Flat and Horz. only positions. Also there are diferent ratios of mixes in Argon/Co2.
Just a thought,
John Wright
Parent - By cpagan1 Date 12-04-2002 21:22
Hi John,

Argon/Co2 was what the local welding supplier suggested? The manual does suggest straight Co2. Kind of new to mig welding, not sure what kind of wire was in the machine (E71T-1 or E70T-1) I'll have to check
when I get home. At this point I'm just playing with my new toy. Thanks for your input, it's really appreciated.

Claudio
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 12-04-2002 17:55
In general, you can use commercially pure Ar for welding most materials. The penetration just tends to have a rather strange shape and it may not be the most optimum solution from a commercial point of view.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By cpagan1 Date 12-04-2002 21:08
Hi Niekie,

The reason I asked the question is I have a full bottle of Argon and what I'd like to do is experiment with it. Rather than having to spend more money on exchanging my bottle of argon for CO2. When I empty the bottle then I'll exchange for C02. Just curious, can you discribe what you mean by "The penetration just tends to have a rather strange shape". And BTW I'm just playing with my new welder, mostly on 16 gauge muffler tubing. I'm hoping to use it instead of brazing a recumbent bicycle I plan to build out of muffler tubing, nothing commercial at all.

Thanks
Claudio
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lincoln SP100 Mig Question