Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Excessive Weld Reinforcement
- - By doitdorado (*) Date 10-28-2011 14:05
Is a welder allowed to remove excessive weld reinforcement from a groove weld test plate for welder qualification? In D1.1 section 5.26.1.2 requires excessive weld rein forcement to be removed. So if a welder submits the test plate with the reinforcement removed would this be acceptable?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-28-2011 14:15
Your clause 5 information may not apply to a performace qualification test.

Performance qualification is a test of skill... Where Fabrication requirements (clause 5) are requirements for acceptable production welds.

When I proctor a test, it's made clear in verbal instructions and in the WPS, that the final cover pass shall not show power tool marks such as grinding or chipping.

4.8.1 (3)  says that  "Weld reinformement shall not exceed 1/8 inch..."   That limitation in the scope of a performance test, doesn't mean much if the person taking the test grinds off any reinforcement.

D1.1 does not disallow grinders for work on intermediate passes
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-28-2011 15:08
doitdorado

As Lawrence said.

If it was presented to me for my inspection for qualification it would go in the scrap.

In our qualification process, I inspect and reject/approve all through the test.

Fit-up, root pass, and weld-out. The person taking the test is aware of what I will be using to give that rejection/approval stamp and over 1/8 reinforcement is a reject.

In Fabrication the welder can grind off the excess in some instances but if they start spending too much time doing this they will be re-evaluated for their abilities(we don't pay welders to apply extra filler metal).

Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-28-2011 16:32
"D1.1 does not disallow grinders for work on intermediate passes "

Where is D1.1 does it say that?
I know D1.5 bridge code says it.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-28-2011 16:46
Chris,
I think you may have mis-understood...
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 10-28-2011 18:11
Chris
As John mentioned I think you have miss-understood.
We are not saying a grinder can not be used to remove excessive reinforcement.
What I meant to say is
At our Company
I am with any personnel when they are qualifying to weld in our shop.
First, they have shown me that they are capable of qualifying, they did this by running a 3f and 4f fillet weld break test either on applying or at lunchtime or after hours, if they are moving with in the company from say a welders helper to a welding position.
Second, they sign a document for me/my employer that lists the criteria of this testing. It is written to AWS D1.5 Qualification, that way I can document qualification to AWS D1.1 and D1.5, it also has an Ethics Statement.
Third, I oversee the qualification from start to finish grading the individual if you will as to what I can expect and or what they need in the way of improvements.
As to why I would reject a welders qualification if they ground the weld without my inspection is
In AWS D1.1-08 Clause 4.8.1.1 Visual Inspection Groove Welds (3) Weld reinforcement shall not exceed 1/8". The Weld Profile shall conform to Fig. 5.4 and shall have complete fusion.

Sorry for any confusion
Marshall
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-29-2011 01:58
EEEEK!

It doesn't say it... It's silent..

If it does not say you can't... Than you can.

Bridge code says you can't... so you cant  :)
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 10-29-2011 03:32
Lets not forgot the big hammers some people like to take into the test booth.  They figure they can beat the cap down to an 1/8 inch.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Excessive Weld Reinforcement