Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Man Down
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-30-2011 17:11
A good welder and a fine friend of mine named Bernie took a 20 ft fall from his tree stand yesterday.  I got the call this morning, he broke his back and his arm in a few places.  He is in intensive care and they are doing surgery today on his back.  Fella has it rough, he spent the last two months recovering from shoulder surgery and just got back to work.  I would appreciate a little prayer for my friend and his family from anyone inclined to.  Thanks.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-30-2011 17:21
Done and doing.
Parent - By tightline11 (**) Date 10-30-2011 18:15
will put him and his family on our prayer list at church!!!!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-30-2011 21:45
Ours as well.  Thanks for the info.  Intercession for healing has power.

Brent
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 10-31-2011 00:30
In the name of Jesus we hereby plead the blood of Jesus over Bernie and his family; that he will make a full and complete recovery with total bodily restoration and not suffer one minute longer. AMEN!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-31-2011 00:50
Thank yall a bunch.   It means a lot to me because prayer works wonders.  He shattered three vertebrae...far as I know they are gone.  They cleaned out the "debris" and put in some kind of cage around his spinal cord.  They may have to go in tomorrow from his back and do the same.  Thankfully he is not paralyzed, he did bruise his lungs bad enough he is on a ventilator.  He has disability insurance but it does not pay much...am I am going to try to cover work and calls for him to keep some money rolling in...I have a bad feeling they are gonna need it.  I am just very thankful he is alive and has the opportunity to make it mostly in one piece thru this.   It has been one tough year for him.

Thank yall again
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-31-2011 01:29
I hope He recovers completely and as quickly as possible.

About a year ago a blacksmithing friend lost His son when His tree stand gave way, poor guy died instantly.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-31-2011 04:13
hope Bernie has a speedy Recovery.
at least someone has a secure stand!!!
Attachment: bearstand1.jpg (0B)
Attachment: bearstand2.jpg (0B)
Attachment: bearstand3.jpg (0B)
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-31-2011 07:49
that would be scary walking up to your stand one morning....Sorry about your friend Tommy
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2011 16:30
Sorry to hear about your friend, prayers sent from Va.
- - By odleo Date 10-31-2011 04:46
Prayers sent and have added him and his family to my church prayer list. 
Tommy do you know if he was taken to UAMS after his fall. I can have my pastor go by and visit with him and the family..
Maybe see if my church could help them in some way
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-31-2011 15:28
He is at Baptist in the critical care unit.  Family is gathered in the waiting room of the same name...it is right by the chapel in the main tower, ground floor.  Thank you.
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 11-01-2011 01:24
God bless him and his family.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-01-2011 02:12
Sorry to hear this Tommy. Please let him know we are all pulling for him.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-15-2011 19:34
My friend is out of the hospital.  He begged them to let him go home to have a decent meal and sleep in his own bed.  He has to go back tomorrow for some minor surgery on his wrist.  But he is out of the woods, no paralysis....just plenty of pain.  I want to thank yall again for the prayers and just wanted to let you know the results...it WORKS thru the Grace of God.....he was pretty dodgy there for a while.

He finally was able to talk long enough to tell me what happened.  He leaned out of his stand to drive a nail in a loose board and lost his balance.  24ft straight down to the ground.  He got knocked out for a bit.  When he come too he could wiggle toes and fingers and thanked God he was still alive and working.  He figured he had to get out no matter how he felt.  He was honestly scared to death he was going to get ate alive by hogs because he had seen a lot of fresh sign around his stand.  When he tried to drag himself to his 4wheeler he found out how jacked up his arm was.  Somehow he got his self on it and rode about 250 yards up some trails and some other hunters come up on him and hauled him to the hospital.  I don't want to think about what it felt like steering a four wheeler with one arm and a shattered back. 

He is going to be alright eventually.  Maybe never quite the same but he is gonna be ok.

Tommy
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-15-2011 20:26
Glad to hear that he is on the mends....sounds like he was very fortunate to still be with us.

edit: people have died from falling from alot less height
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Man Down