Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tube to Tubesheet welding
- - By Hojo (*) Date 11-03-2011 12:54
We have a tube to tubesheet joint that requries a chamfered joint and the addition of filler metal for the weld. We have, thru trial and error, found that we need to have the first pass as fusioin only in order to not have any voids at the bottom of the chamfer. The weld will be a continuous weld with the first rotation around the tube as fusion only with no filler metal and filler metal will begin to be added as the second rotation of the welding head begins around the tube. There is not stopping of the welding operation during the entire two rotations of the welding head around the tube.
As this is a continuous weld, is it correct to define this weld as "autogenous"?
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 11-03-2011 13:27 Edited 11-03-2011 13:34
Per AWS A3.0:2001 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions

An Autogenous Weld is a weld made without filler metal.

EDIT:
This would fall under the category of a "Continuous Weld"

Jason
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-03-2011 14:36
I've done similar stuff on rotating air seals.

We refered to the autogenous 360/80 degrees as a "conditioning pass"

So I would agree with Flamin...

If your just looking for accurate text for your WPS or a discription of process you might want so say someting like.

A continuous (size) fillet weld with an autogenous root/fusion/conditioning (pick most accurate word) pass.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-14-2011 17:08
This would be an ASME Boiler Code application and I doubt you would get it through an AI without considering the first pass autogenous and qualifying for it per Section IX. A process of which I agree.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 11-15-2011 12:25
Hi Hojo

I have always treated this situation as:

1st Run: Autogenous
2nd Run: Filler added

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tube to Tubesheet welding