Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller 402D with Duetz engine
- - By strother (***) Date 11-05-2011 21:04
I've found a 402D with about 5000 Hrs . I can get it for $4200.00  It has a Duetz diesel and I haven't heard much about them good or bad . Does anyone have experience with Duetz engines.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-05-2011 22:33
Had one in my Miller 500D.  Never had any problems with it. 

Had fewer hours than that on it when I sold it to weldwade.  Don't think he has had any problems with it either. 

Have a Great Day, Brent
Parent - By cwf07 (***) Date 11-06-2011 01:03
I got a miller 402D I bought it new in 1999 got 13,500hrs on don't use oil it still going strong it got the Duetz. haven't used in about 6 months bought a lincoln SAE-300.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-06-2011 03:02 Edited 11-06-2011 03:06
The Duetz is one of the best industrial engines on the market. I have seen them go 20,000+ hours. German made very reliable. The only ones I have seen that had problems were the first gen Miller AirPak that used one cylinder as the compressor. Lots of problems with the compressor jug on those models. We had a Duetz on a irrigation pump that ran for more than 20 years. Very good engines. I would recommend them.

As Brent already said I bought his 500D. I am very happy with the machine. Very quiet and does very good on fuel. I use it hard and it has never let me down.
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-06-2011 05:50
Duetz makes a great engine,from the small motors to large tractor motors.Never heard a negative comment about them in all my years of farming and welding.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-06-2011 14:17
In my opinion, the Deutz is too loud to use in a rig welder.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-06-2011 14:36
Then maybe you should leave the comments for the people who actually USE them ! I would think you would prefer it over a SA-200. That has been the choice for many years and they are HANDS DOWN by far the loudest machines out there.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-06-2011 15:42
Joe,

I'm curious as to which machines you would be comparing that to.  My 500D was quieter than many other machines I have had, and many of them were smaller. 

I would think a lot of the noise issue would be on how and if the side shields are in place, type of exhaust system- maybe modified by someone, and then how the other machine was set up.  The engine itself is really not that loud from my experience.  But then, I haven't run every machine out there.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-06-2011 16:46 Edited 11-07-2011 07:40
Have not run any newer ones but burned a lot of rods on a Big Blue 30 in the nineties.  My employer had two of them and they got run really hard.  Had an injector go out on one but that is it.  I always thought it was a very solid machine, welded nice too.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-07-2011 03:39
I had a Miller400 D with an Air Cooled Deutz Engine.  I also still Have a Lincoln Sam 400 with a six cylinder Perkins Engine, and that is much quieter.  I also have a Miller Big 30 with a Perkins 4 cylinder Engine.  That engine uses .52 GPH and you can carry on  normal conversation 20 ft away.  In my opinion, the Deutz is louder than the Onan Engines at 3600 RPM.  I had a Hobart 300 amp with a Ford Gasoline Engine and that was quieter than the Deutz.  I had a Miller Trailblazer 55 and a 44 with F-163 Gasoline Engines, and both of them were quieter than the Deutz.

But I bow to the All Knowing Almighty Cactus.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-07-2011 12:34
Thanks for your time to respond Joe.

I still think the major factors will be in the exhaust system setup, shielding, mounting to truck or trailer, etc.  But, you have certainly compared it to many machines.

I would guess that the only way any one could state for certain would be to line up several machines and then walk down the line with a noise meter to see which ones were indeed loudest or quietest.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-07-2011 22:46 Edited 11-07-2011 22:53
Brent

I had an air cooled Deutz in my miller.  I kept the sides on, It had the factory Muffler and Spark Arrestor, and I put a 1" thick foam/ lead backed sound absorbing panel inside the engine side doors, clear of the vent holes.  I couldn't put up with the noise.  The only other machine I found to be that loud was a Lincoln SAM 650 with a six cylinder White engine with no muffler on it.  To my knowledge, I never saw or heard a  "Liquid Cooled" Deutz Engine.  Maybe those liquid cooled engines are different.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-08-2011 01:54
Good point Joe.  Differing engine sizes and other factors can contribute to the noise factor.  Possible that part of the difference is in how it is cooled. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By leterburn (**) Date 11-08-2011 02:41
Yep..... the liquid cooled are good but leave it to the masses to not want it so it's been discontinued in the 300 Vantages.  I'm keeping my eye out tho for another used, low time one.
Regards, DL
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-08-2011 03:54
The EPA emission BS is why the Deutz is no longer available.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-08-2011 03:43
Joe, I have owned a few and welded with many welders that used the air cooled Deutz both Miller and Lincoln. None of them even came close to being as loud as a 3600 rpm gas machine. The older ones are a little louder than the new ones but not much. Deutz does make a liquid cooled diesel many different models in fact. If your air cooled Deutz was louder than a 3600 rpm gas engine there was something wrong with it. I have been around too many of them to think differently.

To the OP. Not everyone in this world will agree on everything. All of the responses except one here all say the same thing. Deutz diesels are good engines. I own several engine driven welders. A 3600 rpm trailblazer, two red face and one green light SA200 Lincolns and a BigBlue 500D Miller with the air cooled Deutz. The Deutz is by far the quietest of the machines
Parent - - By leterburn (**) Date 11-06-2011 19:35
Perhaps the air-cooled variety.....  but my Deutz in my 300 Vantage is the cat's azz...   I'd prob pay good money for another machine as backup - my Deutz is water cooled, however and is awful quiet.  BUT that's my experience w/ Deutz.

Regards, DL
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 11-07-2011 21:00
i have a classic II that i would sell for the right price
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-06-2011 19:44
I just sold my 250 D that had a duetz motor about four months back I loved that motor very reliable and is very fuel efficent. It is built realy simple and are easy to work on if you do have a probleme. Mine had a ton of hours on it and only had very minor problems with it. I was able to do all the work myself. As far as to how loud they are I dont think that will be an issue. There are pretty quiete machines. They will get kinda noisey if you let the sheet metal get loose. I fixed all that by means of either weather striping and blue permetex on the screws. I cant stand a loud ratteling machine and it was plenty quiet for me. You cant go wrong with a duetz motor. 5000hrs is nothing on a motor that can easily do 20K+ hours with proper maitanence
Parent - By strother (***) Date 11-06-2011 20:56
Thanks everyone for the input. It sounds like I would be making a good decision with the Duetz engine. I had an oppurtunity come up. If I follow up on it I'm going to need a bigger machine . My Ranger 250 gets me by for now . Right now only about 15% of my work is feild work , the rest is in my shop. I have a V-350 Pro in the shop that handles whatever I need to do there. For what I would be using the 402D  for I don't think noise would be a big issue. I thought that $4200 sounded like a good price if I decide to go after more feild work.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller 402D with Duetz engine