Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / "New" teacher - needs advice
- - By StockbridgeHS Date 12-06-2002 18:09
Hello,
I am a 7th year HS Construction teacher that wants to put some of our welding equipment to use. One of my classes - second and third year students - has become a 2-1/2 hour class this year, and the traditional curriculum will not be enough to last until June.

I have limited experience at welding - one year as a millwright (1980). Nevertheless, I feel confident that I could do an adequate job of introducing high school guys (and girls) to the welding trade.

We have a Millermatic 130 Autoarc (TIG, MIG?) - which is in minor disrepair, a Craftsman Heavy Duty arc (buzz box), tons of rods, and an oxygen/acytelene(sp?) torch.

I have more questions than I know what to do with, so I'll leave the floor open to you guys for comments, recommendations, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 12-06-2002 22:19
Maybe you could...
Start with the basics such as oxy-fuel cutting equipment safety, grinding safety, UV light safety, first aid for burns and electric shock safety.
Then teach them how to use a torch, so they can make the pieces they need to weld together.
Make sure they have to grind their own cuts. That's the best, quickest way I know for somone to learn how to use a torch better.
Then get into arc welding and filler metal selection for different materials.
If you research the past posts on this board you'll find a lot of good information concerning educational materials and books.
Good Luck and thanks for trying to spead the knowledge of a talent starved trade.
Tim
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-08-2002 01:37
Six year college level Welding and Metal Fabrication instructor, and second year, secondary Welding Technology instructor. If I may be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Parent - By jamesbg (*) Date 12-18-2002 10:28
If you can teach those kids the basic use of a torch it will help them with every aspect of welding down the road.Heliarc is just a electric torch.If you can get those kids to make there own plate by welding pass over pass upward into a two inch wide by six inch tall 1/8 inch thick
plate then they will have made their own base metal and can weld it up into a small box for jewerely.Something like that takes skill and if they can make their base material they will go a long wayuntill you get more equipment.call me james 772 334 7726
Parent - By selly Date 04-01-2003 22:22
perhaps start those guys and parenthetical girls out with safety worksheets, then work on torch and tank setup, then stringer beads on each process, and work upward. you could take a quick class yourself and model yours after that.
Parent - By wesley (*) Date 04-19-2003 11:02
Joe, Am in your area and teach welding for the State. Please feel free to contact and we can talk. Will also send you a email.
Wesley.
Parent - By goodarc Date 05-11-2003 14:26
Yea, how bout those parenthetical girls! Oxy-Acetelyne for sure. This is such a mellow and smooth process (not to mention quiet,exept for when they'll make it pop!) Totally perfect for lowering the intimidation level that can accompany playing with hot stuff. Just make sure you build a learning environment that is based on safety first and let them know that this is new to you to which will open the door for more enthusiasm in sussing out techniqes and tricks. You could tie welding in with history and science too for added scope and connection. (An arc has the strength of 10,000 suns. Carbon steel is derived from iron ore which is actually the falling star you wished on as a kid....) God I love this stuff!
Thanks again for wanting to encourage the younger ones to get their hands dirty. I am eternally grateful for the guy that taught me and got me started. Have the best!
Parent - By SailorRtrd97 Date 03-20-2005 16:00
Hi Welding instructor,

I am a retired navy welding instructor. I got my start in welding when i was 11 from a guy in Idaho named Max Palmer. I then went to welding classes in junior and high school. I would suggest start with the safety first as its the most important. Move to oxy fuel welding and brazing and have students weld rows of beads on pipe or plate. Display them on a board in the hall way of the high school or the welding shop. Ask the school district if you can take field trips to local area companies doing welding with your students. If yu have a big enough shop and work area ask the local farmers and ranchers for trailers to fix or gates to build. They may furnish the material to adavance your students. Teach tem joint design and fitup. I made fruit baskets from metal scroll work i bent up. Did all of the welding with oxy fuel. You can start a real good welding program with help and still use what yu have. Ask the Navy recruiter if he knows of any HT's from your area and have them come in and give talks to your students. Talk with them first to make sure you know what they are talking about. Ask other experienced welders to come in and talk to your students and show them things. I hope this helps.

Joe
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / "New" teacher - needs advice