Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / North Dakota and Pennsylvania thoughts on Oilfield Trash !!
- - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-11-2011 18:24
Thisis a Must read Blog on Drilling Ahead. Hard to beleive ! But True

http://drillingahead.com/profiles/blog/show?id=3116006:BlogPost:209280&xgs=1&xg_source=msg_share_post
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-12-2011 01:41
HMMMM  the companies + Private business owners come in.  Give the bigger landowners quite a bit of money, for YEARS+YEARS.  AND stimulate the hell out of the local economy.....which up there talking to my biker buddies is pretty bleak.  Whats next worker permits for the state like you have to do on overseas jobs>?  Its a win win win situation....so what this "waiters" girlfriend left him for a deckhand or a rigwelder because he did two things for her...one involving a better living/lifestyle maybe.   I seen the patch turn my backyard upside down economically....maybe a bit socially...but not in any kind of bad way.  Hell thats a bunch of new potential business and contacts for me, I got the boot out of my job and the aircraft biz went real lowball (experienced aircraft welders are hard to find but the jobs are also FEW and far between) the patch is potentially bread and butter to me...SO.  What the F987 is wrong with big business coming in and giving lots of day laborers a chance to pull 100k a year?  Get over it.  I see no headlines of raping and pillaging...sounds like jealousy to me.

They restore the land to usable condition, they clean up any mess no problem.  They buy tools and bolts from Joe everybody's hardware supply....AND I guarantee you those rig welders like to go out for a nice steak/beer what have you when they get a chance too.  That is one helluva lot more then your US govt is doing for your future right now.

THEY can stuff it straight up there $$$
Tommy
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 11-12-2011 01:52
I think they are just pissed cause these guys came to their home making crazy money and the towns people just dont like it. Tough SHI* for them. Should of been a Oil feild Trash hand. Not work for BFI.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-12-2011 03:30 Edited 11-12-2011 03:33
Not all the congressmen from Pa. are against the oil & gas drilling, they mostly want drilling, the division is over how much to tax for it.
Pretty much falls on party lines.

That FUDGEPACKER at Penn State [and those who knew about Him] sure are causing some grief. About half of every news brodcast on the Philly stations is about it.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-12-2011 03:50 Edited 11-12-2011 03:53
When I worked in Towanda, the only Locals that were freindly to any of us was the Bartender and the LWS owner. Other than that, the locals all wished we would leave. Some of us went out to eat one night at a Bar/Steakhouse. There was a guy in there that actually thought we had something to do with the local property owners raising the rent on rent houses. We tried to explain that it was their own Local Greedy Bastards doing it, NOT US. He hated us anyway. I laughed all the way to the bank.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-12-2011 04:01
You had a lot going against You. People up there are coal crackers, and they generally don't like anybody that hasn't been there for 5 generations. If You are not putting money in their pocket DIRECTLY, they are not smart enough to figure out that they are benifiting from all the activity. The people getting the oil/gas lease money are tickled pink, but they still won't like YOU, because the money they get comes from somebody else.

If I went up there from southeastern Pa., they wouldn't like Me either.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-14-2011 13:06
I'm pretty easy, married so if they were to say I was spreading std's then I could call them a liar. Best thing in my opinion and works wonders is the ol' ignore button. Next best is the big smile then wave. I find it's easier to do it this way, usually ends up getting the person even more mad. As far as the restaurant, could not put two tables together and waiter being a d_ck from the get go? I'd turn around and walk out, waiving a $20 in his face and telling him to say goodbye to his tip.

As far as this Penn state thing, wow! The whole school going crazy about a guy who was protecting a molester? I guess it just goes to show how our society is becoming a little to loose in it's ideals? Morals? Might just fall back to people's priorities. Got to have a good football team regardless of what it takes or what somebody has done.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-11-2011 03:59
Same thing happens everywhere. Here on the western slope, the oil companies built roads, schools, churches, colleges, hospitals, etc, etc........the energy companies single handedly built the infrastructure up until Garfield County Colorado, (Podunk USA), now has 120 million in cash reserves. A HUNDRED AND TWENTY MILLION!!!! You know how they thanked the oil companies and the workers? They made the cost of living, and the taxes and zoning costs for projects so high that nobody could afford to stay here anymore. Every local who took in ten to twenty times the cash sales that they regularly did, did nothing but hack on those guys who spent their paychecks at their establishments. The cops pulled over every vehicle with out of state plates and gave a ticket, or arrested someone. All truck mounted machinery had to be registered, ($$$$$$$), truck tires and tail lights were smashed, and the schools suspended "oiltrash" kids for fights, when in fact the local kids picked on them. And when the bigger fish decided that the price was too high to stay and pulled out, guess who got blamed for the hundreds of people walking away from their half million dollar double wides because they couldn't afford them anymore? You guessed it, those damned roughnecks with their diseases, and their drugs, and their rugged behavior, and their unruly kids. I can tell you this; in my 8 year run in that patch, and the taxes I paid in Garfield County, i promise you that I sent AT LEAST 4 of those poor put upon locals' brat kids through college. That is not an imbellishment, it is the truth. All I can say is that we gotta maintain our composure and go in there and take what we can, while we can, and I promise you that it will be the same miserable little close minded situation it was before we came, with the addition of fine things like schools, and churches, and hospitals, and roads, and colleges, and some good stories. I'm gettin mine..........
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-11-2011 04:03
Craig, Colorado is another of those situations. The local cops drove 17 miles from town, up my 1/4 mile long driveway to give me a ticket for not having my machine registered. I almost shot them.....
- - By hojopens3 (**) Date 11-16-2011 14:04
I spent a year in the montrose area and have to say I met some nice folks there, never had a problem with anybody, they loved the way i talk, but i have to say the drilling co. i was working for had some some hands up there that i was ashamed to be seen in public with. these hands would go to town to eat and still have oil based mud on the back of their necks and arms, cussing and talking trash, was just plain sick to try to enjoy a meal with them around. i dont call that oilfield thash, i call that WHITE THRASH. with the boom going on the drilling co. are hiring the bottom of the bottom
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-16-2011 20:26
hojopens3,
   Unfortunately there are bad apples in every bunch. There are members of this very forum that give "Oilfield Trash" a bad name. Be it by the way they carry and conduct themselves or by their business practices and underhanded ways of doing things. All too often people judge the whole lot based off of just a few dirty, low down, lying, cheating and scumbag gypsies.

jrw159 :cool:
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-30-2011 16:50
Guys: I live in that area in PA. Would love to BS with other welders. In the Clifford-Honesdale area, Franks bar in Simpson...excellent food, beverage, and service!
Parent - By hojopens3 (**) Date 12-01-2011 12:00
we went to the land of the vickings, was a great place, food was good, and made some good freinds in there. the bar was a hand carved viking ship, the detail was awesome. would like to go back just to hang out some.......great folks
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / North Dakota and Pennsylvania thoughts on Oilfield Trash !!