Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Small TIG parts
- - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-11-2011 19:08
I've got an old Lincoln Invertec V100-S >> LINK TO SPECS <<

I use it to TIG stainless steel exhaust for motorcycles with the PTA-17V TIG Torch.

I ordered a pack of consumables in the form of the PTA-17V Parts Kit (KP508 from Lincoln >> HERE <<) that comes with 3 collets, collet bodies, and tungstens.

I only ever use the smallest of these. I'm guessing it is about 1mm in diameter, but I know the measurements are in inches. The little tungsten rod is just about used up.

The whole kit is for sale, but I don't need the whole kit and I can't find a parts list of what sizes are included in it.

Any one know how to find out what size that tungsten is? I held it up and told the guy at the local welding supply store (AirGas) that I needed one in that size, and he responded by asking, "What size was it?" Dude! I dunno! That's why I brought it in!

Where could I go to order 2 or 3 more? A new, small ceramic nozzle would be nice to have, too.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-11-2011 20:29
Hello Joe, I am pretty sure that the smallest of the tungstens shown in that kit is 1/16" diameter. You could verify this relatively easily by using a set of calipers or a micrometer, a .0625 reading on the calipers or the micrometer will verify this. Otherwise place the end of the tungsten on a scale with a capability to read 1/16ths, if it appears to be less than 1/16th on that scale then it is probably a .040" tungsten, although I believe that is probably unlikely. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-12-2011 03:01
Those parts are not unique to Lincoln. If You tell them they are for a #17 torch and take the old ones with You there is a fair chance they will have them in stock.

The tungsten electrodes & collets come in .040, 1/16, 3/32 & 1/8" and You will be able to see by eyeball which ones match Yours by laying them end to end on the counter if You are not able to measure them.

The gas cups are measured by the 16ths" of the working end.

The red color coded tungsten is 2% thoriated, perhaps not the best choice but readily available, better than the green ones for stainless work.

You can find them on eBay, probably made in China, but I don't know how good the quality is.

Air Gas in My town isn't so good either, but the one in the next town up the line is better.
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-25-2011 16:41
OK, it is size 0.040 inch.

Now on to what to buy:

Red is what I have now.

There is also Green, Blue, Gold, and White. Possibly others.

I can't seem to find what the differences are.

Can anyone explain the differences in the tungsten colors? Something about purity, but I don't know what color is what OR why I'd want one purity over another.

Thanks,
Joe
Parent - By 2006strat (***) Date 11-25-2011 21:57
I know green is 100% tunksten.  I use it on alum when I tig.  Red is what I use everyday carbon, stainless and majority of alloys.  I think it's like 95% or 98% pure.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 11-26-2011 01:11 Edited 11-26-2011 01:14
This will help you understand the color codes and differences:

http://www.weldcraft.com/pdfs/Tungsten-Electrodes.pdf

Here is a good source for ordering online if your local welding supply is not helping you:

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/2GRxxx07.html
Parent - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-26-2011 03:30
Cool reference chart and source. Thanks!
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-26-2011 05:03
2% thoriated is what you are using and will work just fine. It is easier to find also. I would recommend giving 1/16 a try as I am guessing you may be overworking the. 040
AirGas does sell the radnor brand in packs of 3 but imo radnor is garbage. The other thing you should really consider is a gas lens for stainless. I have really good luck with weldcraft tungsten, good stuff imo.
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-26-2011 12:28 Edited 11-26-2011 12:46
What is a "gas lens"?

EDIT: Never mind. Found a cool video on it >> HERE <<.

So, I'm running 30 Amps (DC) to weld with. You think I'd be OK with bumping up to 1/16-inch tungsten?

I like how his TIG torch has that "lift to start" feature. Beats my scratch start technique.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-26-2011 16:54
No 30amps is right in the middle of the range for. 040
If you are running above 60 with it for any length of time you should step up to 1/16
I would still get a gas lens, I wont tig stainless without one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Small TIG parts