Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Costs
- - By zinnan (*) Date 11-14-2011 12:26
Can I get some ideas on the going rates for welder qualifications? Getting ready to bid some work and would like to hear what a fair price range may be.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-14-2011 13:48 Edited 11-14-2011 15:42
Each test for me costs about $350, WPS, testing for the API stuff. Probably about a grand or better for API if you do 12 on 12 branch and butt. ASME that I just checked on for say, carbon steel will run me around $700-900. If they supply a CWI to monitor my test, check amps, etc., $900. If I do it myself then $700. AWS, think it was around $350 for wps and testing on 3g/4g. That's at the lab I use though, might be cheaper in different locations, different labs and so on.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 11-15-2011 11:34
Hi

Everything here in OZ is very expensive, so I was interested to see what these things cost in the USA. I am not sure I understand your answer though. You are talking about WPS's, but the question was about welder qualification costs. Were the costs you quoted for welder performance qualifications, or WPS qualifications?

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2011 12:55
Yes, those are the initial costs, to get procedures and test. When I retest every year on a 12" butt for API 1104 it is about $300(that's one test), so for me it would cost about $300 per welder to qualify to my procedures. This does not include materials, i.e., pipe, welding rod nor does it include a 12" branch. This is a seperate test and additional cost. For a single hand to work for me it would cost me about $600/test/welder. This is for API stuff as I test to it every year and know the numbers by heart. I believe my test plates for AWS to get shot x-ray were $90-100 per plate so to test a welder would be about $200 plus materials. Of course this is here in Tennessee so it is most likely different around the country....world.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 11-15-2011 13:04
Hi

OK, so the costs were for the lab / NDT testing only, not for the additional costs such as:

1) Materials
2) Machining / preperation
3) Supervision / QC
4) Welder time
5) Making out certification documentation

Once you add all this, the price will obviously be much higher.

Thanks for the info.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2011 13:21
Yeah, that's it. On the API stuff they do destructive testing but on my plate tests for the AWS typically they just shoot them, as I said though, that's around my area.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Costs