Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Question
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-15-2011 00:21
Question about 7075 Aluminum,if I'm not mistaken I believe that I have read some where that they where working on a filler rod for this material. Has anybody have some information on this.

M.G.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-15-2011 00:54
Hello Milton, I have not heard that and would be skeptical about that sort of thing. I believe you can probably join it using the stir-welding process, but other than that, I believe there are still issues with any sort of thermal fusion welding due to it's alloying elements and their response to general welding processes. I have been wrong before and I will certainly look forward to being enlightened by those more knowledgable than myself. Great question. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-15-2011 02:07
I'm with Allan.  Don't think there is anything new on that front..

Ornamental welding only, with the possible exception of friction stirr.

7075 is prolly gonna crack in the HAZ, so filler really doesn't play a part as I understand it.

It's a bad choice for welding  :(
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-15-2011 03:13
The strength of that alloy is incredible, but I too, believe that there will be problems in the grain boundries in the HAZ after conventional welding methods.

For non critical [ornamental, etc.] the low temp aluminum solders might work, but that type of stuff isn't likely to be made of 7075 in the first place.

I live in a cave as far as getting news of new developements, however, so I will take what Allan & Lawrence said.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-15-2011 05:36 Edited 11-15-2011 05:39
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-15-2011 07:00
Hi Doug, great reads. Don't believe I have seen those before, yet I do believe that they somewhat lead to the choice of not recommending to weld either the 2024 or 7075 series aluminum if it's intended service could put a life at risk. So, if I were to condense what I am reading; if you are working on a 2024 or 7075 AL part that has broken or are trying to fabricate items from these alloys that would require welding to assemble, they would be a questionable choice at best. Thanks for the links, I'm sure others will appreciate their inclusion in this thread as well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-15-2011 07:07
Tried to tig an arrow shaft once, on a bet.  Durrr, cost me a bottle of Cognac.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-15-2011 07:42
Doug, you mean you didn't go for a sure bet? Sorry I couldn't resist. I often show students a little "trick" with the cutting torch; I use the oxygen cutting stream to "pick-up a dime" with the cutting tip in contact with the face of the dime and the cutting lever depressed blowing oxygen out of it and at the same time providing a negative pressure effect allowing the dime to be lifted. You get a few "how the hell did you do that" sorts of looks. I have won a beer or two with that one from uninformed folks, not students though. Regards, Allan
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-20-2011 02:24
Thanks Guys. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you working 9 hours 5 days & 8 on Saturdays.But thanks for your information.
                   M.G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Question