Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Questions about 5G Pipe Test API-1104
- - By pipenatgas Date 11-15-2011 15:07
Greetings,
I'm taking a pipe test with the following requirements:

8" sch 40 open root
E7010 1/8" rod , all down hill
5G position

It's for an out of town employer and I will be using a local test lab.  They will then mail the test coupon to the company that would hire me.
The company works on natural gas lines and such. 

Questions I have are do you cap with stingers?  Or do you weave a single pass on the cap? 
I've taken lots of welding tests before but it's been a long time since I've done any downhill pipe and can't remember.
3/32" gap?  Amperage setting around 90? 

I could use so memory refreshing as I've been TIG welding for the past several years.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2011 21:07
I use a 3/32" land, 3/32" gap, or pretty close to that. On an 8" pipe with an 1/8" rod for the cap I use one bead, no weave, don't even know if I've tried a weave with a xx10 rod. Mine is more of a swirl as I go down. On a 12" 5g sch. 40 I just run a bead for the cap. I don't think you'll need double stringers until you get into the heavier wall pipe or on a branch. Others with WAY more experience will chime in soon...good luck with it,

Shawn
Parent - By wiliweld Date 12-26-2011 03:38
Great question, and the choice sometimes between a single cover (slightly washing) vs two stringers sometimes will revolve around how much heat you will be putting into one single spot slightly oscillating vs two side by side covers with cooler, narrower stringer beads.

I have an extensive Naval shipyard background (tig and stick with pipe), along with commercial shipyards too, and when you have any sort of misfit on the pipe with any irregular gaps the extra time  you spend weaving and washing the bead adds alot more heat to the area (think of a square inch) and then puddle control starts to waver.  I'd always choose to run an extra bead fully under control than risk a wider wash that is just on the edge of loss.  Just my opinion.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Questions about 5G Pipe Test API-1104