Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Hot Work in Confined Spaces-book
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2011 15:47
I picked up a book the other day from the American Society Of Safety Engineers called "Guidelines for Hot Work in Confined Spaces".

It's a pretty short book, costs a bunch of money for a short book(could buy 10 Tom Clancy novels) but it is full of good information. I was reading the API 2201 "Safe Hot Tapping" and believe this is where I ran acrossed the info about this book. For me, as a young, well not young but new to this field it was informative as far as the dangers, what to look out for and so on. I'm sure that most places will have a safety person doing such things but in my mind it's nice to know what is going on so at least as the welder, the guy or gal in immediate danger of DEATH if somebody screws up at least I will have a basic understanding and if I don't feel comfortable can ask questions.

Book info,

Guidelines for Hot Work in Confined Spaces- Recommended Practices for Industrial Hygienists and Safety Professionals- Author, Martin H. Finkel, CIH, CMC

One note, it does not include any info about hot tapping, I believe they said you could write to them and they might include in the next edition or something of that nature.

Enjoy,

Shawn
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-25-2011 01:51 Edited 11-25-2011 01:55
Two good resource's are API RP 2207 Preparing Tank Bottoms for Hot Work and API RP 2009 Safe Welding, Cutting and Hot Work Practices in the Petroleum and Petrochemical Industries.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-25-2011 13:45
Shawn, with you working for that little gas company all the time, you should ask them if you could sit in on their yearly plastic fusion operator qualification class and their tapping and stopping OQ class and hands on training. I bet as a contractor they'd be happy to let you. It would be a great way to learn their procedures better and get some training so you would spot problems quicker. I'm not saying they aren't safe or you either, but when you personally know the steps and are watching someone else tap or stop a line you are going to be working on, it's nice to be able to spot when they are having problems, and know how to fix them safely.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-04-2011 18:02
That's a good idea. I'll have to give them a call and find out about that. I've been thinking about the "plastic" pipe and branching out a bit since there is so much of it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Hot Work in Confined Spaces-book