Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Low Hydrogen Base Filler Wire of FCAW
- - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-16-2011 03:11
If project specification request to utilize low hydrogen base filler wire what is your suggestion for welding of carbon steel and low temperature carbon steel materials(P No.1) & Alloy steel  materials(P No.4) when it is used atomatic FCAW?What is your idea about selection of E71T-9M(for CS welding ),E71T-9M-J/12M-J(for LTCS welding),E81T1-Ni1MJ(for AS)?Are these filler wires low Hydrogen Base?Which clause of ASME Sec.II mentioned regarding this matter?
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-16-2011 04:04
This sounds like a homework assignment.
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-16-2011 05:37
Thanks for your technical answer.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-16-2011 05:51
It wasn't intended to be a technical answer.  It was an observation.
Parent - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-16-2011 07:38
I wish have a good observation here for ever.
Parent - - By L51174 (**) Date 11-16-2011 11:22
1) None of the filler metal specifications you listed have a Hydrogen designation. If I were required to use low hydrogen wire I would make sure the hydrogen designation was     clearly noted on the label.
2) Impact designation "J" = 20ft-lbs @-40 deg. C, assume this is for low temperature applications?
3) What is "Low temperature carbon steel material?"
4) Looks as though you desire to use Ar/CO2? (M designation)
5) You (or the EOR) will have to determine yourself if a usability designation of either 9 or 12 is appropriate for your project.
6) Buy a copy of the specification you are inquiring about.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-16-2011 12:53
L51174,
A low temp carbon steel would be something like SA-333 Grade 6. Carbon steels for low temp applications involve processes such as limiting certain elements and fine grain practices. They will also generally be manufactured with specified impact toughness requirements.
And with ASME work I've never heard of an individual considered an EOR. I understand your probably using the term generically. Just though I'd mention that.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 11-16-2011 13:43
Hi khodabandeh

As mentioned in another post, if the client spec wants the welding consumable to be considered "low hydrogen", then it is best to purchase the FCAW consumable with a "hydrogen designator". As this is optional in most of the FCAW specs, you will have to clearly specify this when purchasing the filler. Generally H4 (4ml/100g weld metal) is considdered very low hydrogen, although the client spec may be kind and specify that H8 (8ml/100g weld metal) is OK.

The material spec to which you are purchasing your FCAW filler will give the details for testing. For instance, ASME II C SFA 5.29 deals with the low alloy FCAW electrodes, and Table 9 in that spec gives the hydrogen designators.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Low Hydrogen Base Filler Wire of FCAW