Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Combination process
- - By peterj91 Date 11-20-2011 05:39
Hi All,
I have a combination welding procedure qualified by PQR. Butt weld joint rooted with SMAW and filled by FCAW. My concern:  Is the WPS qualifies to weld fillet weld with only FCAW process? (within the essential variables). Please help
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 11-20-2011 07:57
Hi peterj91

According to my knowledge, AWS D1.1 does not deal with this question quite as clearly as for instance ASME IX, but I believe the answer is that YES, you can use only one of the processes, as long as you remain within all the essential variables. The closest indication of this is found in paragraph 3.6.1. I will attach this so that you can see the wording.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By peterj91 Date 11-21-2011 12:11
Thanks for help:smile:
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 11-22-2011 11:19
AWS D1.1 Interpretation
Subject: Qualification of Multiple Welding Processes
Code Edition: D1.1-90
Code Provision: Subsection 5.5
AWS Log: I-9/91-10-03
Inquiry: (1) Can one or more welding processes be deleted from a qualified welding procedure in
accordance with AWS D1.1, subsection 5.5, if each of the essential variables for each of the
remaining processes is maintained?
(2) Based on a qualified welding procedure involving a GMAW root pass, SMAW backweld,
and SAW fill and cap passes; [can this WPS] be separated into a component parts to qualify
other WPSs, as shown in the Inquiry letter?
Response: (1) No.
(2) No, the acceptance or rejection of specific WPSs is beyond the authority of the D1
Committee.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 11-22-2011 12:21
Hi nantong

Thanks a lot for the interpretation that you have shown us below. I do not have copies of the AWS D1.1 Interpretations, so am not able to go through them for an answer. Can you possibly see if there is a similar question asked in relation to section 3.6.1, and tell us?

I could be wrong here, but my reading of the interpretation you have referenced below is in relation to clause 5.5 of D1.1, so it appears to be addressing a different issue. I will attach 5.5 for reference. I believe that what the interpretation is saying, is that if the welder has a WPS, he must follow it, and may not change anything to it. (Like leaving out a process.) In the context of 5.5, I do not see how it refers to the omision of a process if a new WPS is drawn up.

Possibly a search on the interpretations of 3.6.1 will shed some light on this.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Combination process