Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stud welding?
- - By phaux (***) Date 11-20-2011 08:07
Just picked up two stud welding questions for dirt cheap. Was wondering if anyone here has had much experience with the process? Arc type welders. Not knowing much of anything about this process, anyone have any advice, walk throughs, pointers, etc?

What can I weld to what? Can I do a 1/2" stud to 16ga, or vice versa, a 1/8" stud to 1/2" plate?

Can I do stainless steel?

Aluminum?

Weld nuts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 11-20-2011 13:51
What brand, make are the welders? Their specs will let you know what their capabilities are and what they're capable of doing.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-20-2011 17:54
Yes you can weld stainless and even exotic alloys with the stud weld process.  However, for some applications, the capacitor discharge method is preferred over the drawn arc process.

When I was at GE we welded some jet engine parts that were Kovar and Hastelloy to tungsten.  As you may be aware, tungsten melts at around 6000F and the Cr-Nickel alloys melt in the 3000F range.  The CD process is so fast that the burst of energy does not care about the differences in melting temperature.  However, the joint ends up looking more like a diffusion bond than a stud weld.  And there are high speed automated CD stud welders that are like robotic machines.  They can weld brass studs to very thin sheet metals in very very rapid succession.  And now, there are even inverter power supplies with precise digital control and automated process charting, SPC, and bell curve tolerance based process controls and alarm systems.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 11-20-2011 23:12
So the heat from the drawn arc process won't cause carbon precipitation?

Will welding a small stud to thick metal result in a sound weld, vice versa will welding a large stud to thin metal blow through?
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-21-2011 14:11
The advantage of CD over arc would be less heat input and therefore less chance of carbide problems.  But if you are welding stainless to carbon steel it may be moot anyway since there will be a lot of dilution and carbon pickup.  And not all grades of stainless are subject to this concern.  And if you are not in an environment where corrosion is a concern it is not really a big issue.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-20-2011 20:13
Parent - By phaux (***) Date 11-20-2011 23:12
Excellent, thank you. Time to start reading
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-28-2011 13:12
We have a couple of these ( http://www.nelsonstud.com ) stud welding machines in our shop and we have had really good service from them...plus if we have any special applications come up on a job that we are not familiar with, they have good customer support.
The site has some good stud welding info on there too if you have time to read up on it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stud welding?