Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fabtech 2011
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-21-2011 13:38
Here are a few vid clips of a couple of students of mine, being impressed by Thermadyne equipment at the Fabtech Expo last week in the Windy City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5zt8Twi_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=JJA7HuUBBUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=sdINuCJXBTM

Who says red and blue are the only colors eh?
Parent - - By 464238 (**) Date 11-21-2011 18:50
I would like to talk to you and your students about future job placement, I will send you an E-mail
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-21-2011 19:57
Tony,

Awesome!

Jobbing the lads out is why I get up every morning!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-21-2011 19:39
Lawrence,

Were you at Fabtech?  Boy, I missed a good opportunity if you were.  I was there all 4 days.  Had a great time.  Lots of great info at the various comm meetings, seminars, and professional presentations.

And all that equipment under one roof.  Fabulous.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-21-2011 19:56
Hey Brent

I was there on Wed...  I wasn't sure if I could get there until the very end...   Our industrual occupations club goes whenever it's in Chicago..  We hop on a bus in the morning and get about 6 hours... Not really enough time to see everything.

Sadly I got very little networking done this time.

I did think it was a good show... I like to see the international vendors...  I saw some pretty nice power supplies that were very inexpensive... Gonna bring the price down on the Red and Blue stuff  :)

Got to see the *ICE* Sub-arc demo which is very cool too..
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 11-21-2011 20:08
I met ROSS while there, but missed you guys... :confused:
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-22-2011 00:53
Great to see you there, Tim. Boy, was I beat by the time I got home!

Ross
Parent - - By 464238 (**) Date 11-22-2011 02:04
Lawrence,

I was at Fabtech all 4 days... too bad I didn't get in touch with you before the show. I sent you an E-mail with my contact information, please feel free to contact me so we can discuss future opportunities for your students. I would like to come to your school and talk about job opportunities if possible.

Tony
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-22-2011 05:05
We always welcome special guest starz!

You are aware my school is in Wisconsin?

Your bio says your in Tx.

Long trip.. But welcome!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-22-2011 12:48
I used to go to it every year. D10 and A5 met at the EXPO.
The Professional Program is well worth it. But I never saw much of interest on the Expo floor. Rarely was a technology introduced that I was not already aware of. I'd give it about 4 hours to wander about the rest of the time I was listening to papers.
I'd like to start going again but I do not have time on my schedule. If the Professional Program required presenters to offer full papers I might consider it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-22-2011 12:51
I understand the desire for full paper presentation.  They were really not allowed much time and often had little if any time for questions.  But the ones I was at were very interesting anyway. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-22-2011 15:02
Brent,
I never had a problem with the time frame allowed for presenters. Touching upon the main points is fine. But as with most conferences I'd like to see them offer CD's of the full papers since I am not going to remember most of what I've heard without further review and study.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-23-2011 02:34
Now that is a good idea.  That way we could refresh our poor memory when needed as well as listening to it at our leisure. 

Get an overview, take notes, and then get the specifics when I have time and/or when more info is needed.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-23-2011 22:26
if you sign up for the full "professional program" or what not you get a book that has all the abstracts. Some folks only gave a page abstract some were 5+ pages with graphs and pictures. The total book was 200+ pages.

within the subcategories if you signed the attendance sheet they'll send you a dvd with all the presentations. I have mine from last year.  It's true about taking notes in order to remember.  At my job I'm required to write about a paragraph for each lecture I attend so I takes notes and rely on the abstracts.
Parent - By 464238 (**) Date 11-22-2011 12:59
Lawrence,

Yes sir I am aware of the school being in Wisconsin, My company has starting a huge recruiting effort all over the country looking for upcoming talanted welders. I will send you a pm with my contact info and if you would please contact me in order to discuss more details.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-22-2011 13:12
Boy, more missed opportunities.  I missed you guys as well. 

But, while I wanted to meet as many people as possible, I sure enjoyed all the assorted presentations and seminars.  Very well prepared materials and speakers.

Ross, I did have one concern.  Don't know how much this is in your area, you might speak with David Hernandez and Martica about an email I sent them about one of the seminars.  I think it needs some attention from a 'marketing' standpoint as well.  I won't get specific here.  If you want more info let me know and I will send you a pm.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-22-2011 13:23
I like Martica   :)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-23-2011 03:39
I met many of the HQ staff.  I can honestly say 'I like everyone of them'.  I'm afraid if I started naming them I would forget someone.  All were very kind, courteous, and informative. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-22-2011 14:01
Sure, Brent, please PM me.

Ross
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-22-2011 22:50
Oh and by the way folks.

I was just notified that I won the $5000 grand prize worth of tools from Jet !

I'm thinkin about a planishing hammer and an english wheel... and see what's left after that..

Unbelievable!

That, Mr. Js55   is why we walk the show floor!
Parent - By ross (***) Date 11-22-2011 22:54
Post a pic of all the booty when you get it.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-22-2011 23:07
Congrats Lawrence!!! That is very cool. Yes, Show Off your new toys when they come in.:grin:   I don't want to see your booty...:yell:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-23-2011 02:38
Congrats Lawrence.  I'm sure it will be put to good use. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-23-2011 04:49
That is great.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-23-2011 12:00
Damn!
I wanted to win that...
I shouldn't cry though as I won a new Speed Glass welding shield with graphics. :grin:

Tim
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-23-2011 12:38
Lawrence,
LMAO!!!  Point taken.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-23-2011 19:49
Took me a while to get to this Lawrence, I am certainly happy for you and your program and at the same time envious. Jet makes a wide variety of equipment, you should be able to find one or more items to compliment your already fine facilities. Congratulations and best regards, Allan
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-23-2011 22:28
sounds like I missed everyone as well, I stick out though, not as much now that I cut my hair.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fabtech 2011