Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / FCAW-S exposure time
- - By 99205 (***) Date 11-22-2011 22:50
D 1.8 (2009), Clause 6.4.3 (3), Storage time in a protective package or cabinet shall not be included in the accumulated exposure time.  My question is, could a LN25 be considered a cabinet?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-22-2011 22:52
That sir is a very good question.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-23-2011 00:24
I hope not.  Our T-8 wires show signs of moisture pickup (gas tracks and excessive voltage sensitivity) when left on our LN-25s for a length of time... some worse than others.  NR-232 probably being the worst.  In the coastal Pac NW the humidity is very high most of the year, so we may be kind of a worst case scenario, but I wouldn't want to do work that matered without fresh wire in the LN.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-23-2011 00:30 Edited 11-23-2011 00:37
NR-232 has a 1 week exposure limit according to Lincolns web site.  That exposure was tested at 80 degrees F/80 percent humidity.  D 1.8 sets a limit of 72 hour exposure, unless there are other manufacture test results showing otherwise.  The reason I asked the question is, it is possible because of the upcoming holidays, that the 1 week exposure limit could be exceeded.

http://lincolnelectric.com/assets/en_US/products/literature/c165.pdf
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-23-2011 03:04
I think the key would be in the definition of the work 'Protective'.  Not just any cabinet.  A refrigerator with just a small light bulb could be a protective cabinet.  Or any other sealed and possibly insulated container.  Would keep temps from changing in a manner that would cause moisture for the flux to absorb.  Wouldn't have to be as warm as the temps for 7018. 

The covering over the wire spool on the LN 25 would not provide that kind of 'protection'.  You would have to get an opinion from the committee for a more definitive answer.  Though, you might try looking through The AISC Seismic Supplement and see what they have on it.  I have a copy at the shop.  I'll see if I can take a couple minutes tomorrow and see what I can find. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / FCAW-S exposure time