Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Charging double for holidays
- - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 11-23-2011 15:47
Anybody ever charge double for going to a drilling rig on a holiday?
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-23-2011 20:51
Holidays are always double.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-23-2011 21:12
Triple if you can get away with it. No less than double
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-24-2011 01:42
Seems like some of what I have heard is double after hours(emergency) and holidays would definitely be double...if they could get ahold of me! Call me out on Christmas day you better get the ambulance out there when I give the price
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 11-24-2011 06:22
I'm going with double i already got the job just have to wait for the call a simple cut off and tree set. The company man for that rig likes my work and i always do what he wants so i wont triple up on him but i will double and if he gripes ill go back to strait and call it good either way its at least 500 for 2 hours of work it takes longer to get there and get back than to do it.
Parent - By leterburn (**) Date 11-24-2011 13:01
I get door to door...  time out to time in.... to my door.
Regards, DL
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 11-24-2011 03:18
try for tripple why the hell not
- - By Dualie (***) Date 11-24-2011 07:46
Holidays are ALWAYS 2.5X normal rate During normal business hours.   AKA 7-3PM  and 3x normal rate for holliday after hours.  

I have a family to.   While i am here to serve my customers their emergancy must be worth it to them to ruin a good holiday with the family.   No crying wolf
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2011 15:56
Besides, it is amazing how many "emergencies" are only so because they didn't want to shut down production during their business hours.  They would rather interrupt your evening, weekend, and/or holiday (personal family time) by making the equipment get by until it is beyond hope of running one second longer or they are shut down anyway. 

Oh, and then, there are always those who need it yesterday, you work all day and night to fix it, then it sits there for two weeks before they come to get it.  Yeah, that was a real emergency. 

Holidays are double time at a minimum.  No exceptions.  If you give them an inch they will take a mile. 

We have a life too.  If they had a true need it would be taken care of during the regular work day which was when they discovered it was needed because that was when they were using it. 

I even charge many regular work week 'emergency' jobs time and a half.  Because, they interrupted my regularly scheduled in advance jobs and are needing me and my workers to work someone's job on overtime in order to keep up with all the work.  So, they pay the overtime even if their job is done on regular time.  Not fair to charge the other guy overtime to work his job after hours so I could get the other job done during regular hours. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By reitenger (*) Date 11-24-2011 17:50
Brent-

I like the concept of charging the time and a half for the emergency and keeping the regular time for the regularly scheduled job that got shoved.
That may be a process I talk our shop into
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2011 18:05
I tell them when they come in, "Look, I have a job with a schedule being worked on right now.  The only way to accomplish both is to have my people work overtime.  Someone has to pay for it and I am not going to charge the other guy for your problem nor go broke paying overtime when all my customers are paying me straight time.  So if you need it without having to wait in line for your turn, you must pay extra".

But it needs to be dealt with.  That's why so many business people are losing money or at least not making as much as they should be. 

I have certain well paying regulars that all the rules may not apply equally to.  But overall you can't make many exceptions because they will take advantage of you and all of them want something for nothing so they can make more.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 11-25-2011 00:42 Edited 11-26-2011 05:43
Brent its a cut off on a drilling rig it happens when it happens no scheduling involved. I left the house at noon been sitting here since 2 its now 6:40 and still sitting here at 150 an hr I was told to wait. Gotta love it . Ill make the cut around 10 then wait for the test and leave. That'll put me home in time for black friday shopping mud and all lol. Hope your turkey day was good

Didn't leave the rig til 2amI for home at 4ama made it a good day for me and I only worked 30 minutes
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 11-25-2011 02:17
nice
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-25-2011 02:26
I guess You know the following phrase:

"Poor planning on Your part does not constitute an emergency on My part"

Or the USMC 7 P's:
Proper
Prior
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-25-2011 04:01
I have the first one posted right as you come in my office door.  It gets many comments.  Right beside the one that says, 'I can only please one customer per day.  Today is not YOUR day, tomorrow doesn't look good either'. 

I haven't seen the other in a long time.  I'll have to make it up and post it beside the others.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Charging double for holidays