Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Computer software.
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-29-2011 23:07
Is using a software program to design pressure units not allowed by ASME Sec VIII div 1?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-30-2011 19:49
I see no problems if the software has been designed to obey all Section VIII's requirements. I'd say that the great majority (if not almost all) of pressure vessels designers, either engineering firms or pressure vessels fabricators use software programs nowadays. Designing a pressure vessel manually (and I have designed more than one in my professional life) is boring and time consuming.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 12-01-2011 12:35
Hi Mikeqc1

As Prof Crisi has stated, using software is definately allowed, and most engineers will use it. There are requirements however, like the inputs and calculations still need to be transparent, so that they can be verified, and when the calculations are verified, it should not be done with the same software.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-01-2011 20:17
Yes it is allowed.

However in my experience when applying or reapplying for an ASME U stamp or NBIC R stamp certification, the review team has always required supplemental verification of computer generated calculations in the form of handwritten equations.

QCRobert
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Computer software.