Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / GMAW 6G certification
- - By maz Date 12-03-2011 03:04
In doing root pass and cover passes for 6G certification for GMAW, what progression is applicable???  is it downhill or uphill progression? ...(6" dia., C.S., short circuit transfer)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2011 04:17
What does the WPS call for?

Vertical progression, i.e., uphill versus downhill progression, is an essential variable for welder performance.

Al
Parent - - By maz Date 12-04-2011 00:11
thanks...Im preparing to take up 6G certification on GMAW...my instructor told me to practice on uphill progression which i did...Im asking this question because i read from AWS D10.11 (recommended practices for Rootpass welding of pipe without backing) stated they preffered downhill progression...and from AWS B5.5 (specification for qualification of welding educators) WPS they stated that rootpass is downhill and cover pass in uphill progression... :confused::confused:
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2011 06:00
Maz

Your instructor may want an uphill root simply because it's harder.   If you can do it the hard way.. You can easily be taught to do it the easier way.

The joint itself could be done with either progression.  As Al said, the WPS would dictate that in a production situation or a qualification test.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-03-2011 15:33
From a welding standpoint the root pass is much more difficult uphill, but it is recommended (by me :grin:), that if fill passes are to be done, (not recommended by me :grin: ) they should be uphill.
It is very difficult to control the heat in an uphill short circuit open root. Done it. Not easy. While on the other hand due to fusion difficulties the additional heat is an asset in fill passes.
Given your question I would venture to guess that you are not ready for uphill roots or fill passes period. Not meaning this as an insult.
SST and associated technologies are very helpful here. This is actually (despite all the marketing bullshyt associated with these technologies) the place where they really shine. Especially on high alloys.
Parent - By maz Date 12-04-2011 00:09
Im preparing to take up 6G certification on GMAW...my instructor told me to practice on uphill progression which i did...Im asking this question because i read from AWS D10.11 (recommended practices for Rootpass welding of pipe without backing) stated they preffered downhill progression...and from AWS B5.5 (specification for qualification of welding educators) WPS they stated that rootpass is downhill and cover pass in uphill progression...:confused:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / GMAW 6G certification