Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / High tensile flux core wires
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-03-2011 09:02
I re forked a big carriage a while back, they liked it so I have another to do next week.  The last one I did I welded out with 5/32 12018, that was all I could get on short notice.  It took quite a bit of time to fill and stack all that weld, especially with that small rod.  I want to do the next one with a flux core, preferably one that runs all position well or at least uphill well.  My sales guy is mentioning a "115 Hobart wire" (115 ksi I assume) and is recommending co2 with it.  I cannot find this wire on the Hobart site to check it out.  Anyway I want to get something that is a minimum of 120000 psi in a .045 .   I can get a bottle of co2 but I figure that is just for cost savings, if it will run better with a 75/25 that is the route I want to go.   BTW this wire will be laid down with 400 degrees of preheat and with a plain ole Miller 250 if that makes any difference.

Any recommendations?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-03-2011 13:35
Hobart Trimark TM101 has 102 ksi tensile and works with 75/25 in 0.045". Very user friendly and comes in 1/16" if you really want to push the 250 to it's limits.
TM 125K4 runs on 100% Co2 with a 133ksi tensile/118K yeild and good to -60F. Not as smooth and spatter free as the 101. Straight Co2 just never seems to be as slick as the mixed gases no matter what the flux recipe is.
I like the the TM101 for A514 (T1 as we call it in the mine) and similar HSLA steels (Hardox, AR, etc.), and it does a nice job on softer steels too.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-03-2011 14:09
AHHH  found it thank you.  I was looking in the wrong place.

Fabco 115 I think is what the salesman is talking about, it requires co2, does not appear to be all position either.  He needs to read more...the strength properties are only good with artificial aging....that ain't happening.  There is a couple times he shoved what he thought I needed on me over what I said, I think I will have to have a sit down with him and splain who is paying here.

TM-1101K3-M  seems like it would be a better fit.  Got to have 120k psi (or more) in as welded condition.  Anything wrong with that choice?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-04-2011 04:23
Looks like the TM-1101K3M should work. It claims to be a fast freeze (good for out of position) and comes in 0.052" which would deliver some good pounds per hour deposition but might be a strain for a 250 amp machine.
Know what you mean about the "all Knowing Salesman". I was trying to get some ER 309L TIG wire once and the salesman kept trying to tell me that 308 is a "good stainless" (whatever that is supposed to mean????).
Often, it is what they can get, and what they can get a "deal" on.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-04-2011 04:41
I would check the deposition rates at the amperage and voltage You can run it at. I doubt You will gain anything by going over .045 with that machine. Don't push beyond the duty cycle, no point in smoking a good machine.

One of the Airco Dip Core 300's I have [a fixer upper] came from a shop that ran them flat out with 1/16" wire. It was a single phase shop in the coal regions, and these were the most powerfull single phase machines available back then. They burned up several of them.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-09-2011 02:09
First off thanks for the replies, advice and help.

Justin the first is not an all position wire...I am not sure if the second would work with this steel, have to do some research.

I got the TM-1101K3M and it worked fantastic.  I laid 20+lbs of wire in 11 hours with preheating, moving, and prep work.  Welds penetrated very well and stacked great!!!!  I need to do some practice and tweak settings on my verts...they were difficult for me but I can see the wire would do it with a more talented welder.  Cut the factory hours on the job by 6...and welded out probably in a third of the time using smaw.  I am impressed.  This is probably going to turn into regular work for the entire operation nationwide...YEAH buddy.

Thanks again
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / High tensile flux core wires