Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SS Rod Storage
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-04-2011 21:34
I got a good chunk of 309L left over from a job.  I know you can recondition it in an oven but what about storage?  Should I just dry can it or would it be better in the oven with my lo-hy?
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-04-2011 22:32
Neither needs to be in an oven but at 150 degree instead of 250 like lo-hy, at 250 it will over bake the flux causing flux cracking and porosity. I don't know if the 150 is right but it does need to be in an oven.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-05-2011 00:00
I keep my 7018 in homemade oven at 125F....just enough heat to keep it dry in there.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2011 15:14 Edited 12-06-2011 20:56
Stainless electrodes for SMAW have several types of flux coverings. The EXXX-15 type uses a limestone flux covering as does E70X8 electrodes. They should be stored in the same environment as the typical low hydrogen electrodes, i.e., 250 degrees F.

The other type of electrodes should be stored in the same manner if you are working to AWS D1.6.

As for keeping low hydrogen electrodes at 150 degrees F, that isn't hot enough based on my readings. 250 degrees F is the minimum per AWS and various military standards and even that isn't hot enough to ensure the lowest possible hydrogen content. The limestone base fluxes can be baked at much higher temperatures, 500 to 700 degrees F for critical work where the potential for introducing diffusible hydrogen must be minimized.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-06-2011 15:34
I'm glad Al responded first to this.  He probably was wondering the same things I am though, like:

1) Scrappy, I hope there is either a typo or I am just misunderstanding your post; "Neither" needs an oven??
2) Surely,Tommy, you are 'JOKING' when you say you keep your low hydrogen electrodes at 150*? 

D1.1 and manufacturer MINIMUMS are 250*.  And as Al stated they often need more.  And, especially after some info learned at FABTECH in some of the Professional Presentations on some current research being done, I don't understand how we can trust the minimums to do the job.  Especially the way so many try to fudge the electrode storage, pre-heat temps, and proper welding procedures.  If we truly have the public interest and their safety in mind we would go beyond, not below, the minimums.  Some of this research is easily confirmed from the very easily documented fact that the Seismic Codes, Bridge Codes and others have higher pre-heat and storage temps than D1.1.  It is more critical than many give it credit to be.

Please practice at least the minimum storage requirements. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-06-2011 23:32 Edited 12-06-2011 23:36
The "neither" was no dry storeage after reconditioning or keeping the 309 at the same temperature as 7018 at 250 degrees, but as it happens Al corrected me on the 250 temp. We use 2 different brands of 309, McKay (Hobart) and ESSAB. I don't know the flux composition of hand will look tommarrow at work. My experience with the 309 rods I have used I found a lot of flux cracking and bad fingernailing if stored at the 250 degrees. Maybe just me or mishandling of rods by storeroom. Thanks Al for the correct response.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-07-2011 02:17
Ok  I made a mistake here.  They say hold at 225f.  Recondition at 500f.    I have no idea what data sheet I was looking at originally but it is not this one. 309L-16.  

My "oven" is just a heated dry box....the old fridge and light bulb thing a.k.a FC2002 rod storage unit.  

I reckon I need to figure the cost of running an oven 24/7 vs just buying new cans when I do code work.  Right now if it is code work I just run fresh rods.  They will just go into the same setup until I have a better cooker.

Yea I said all that.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-07-2011 04:51
I got a line on some 14" sch 120 pipe that I'm going to cut off about 16" and make a rod oven out of. Also a piece of it going to be my new forge, I bet I could get one more 16" piece for you Tommy!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-07-2011 15:41
Okay, scrappy,  I think I got it.  It was the lack of punctuation and/or capitalization that confused me with your sentence. 

You meant "Neither" with a period after it?  I think.  Then continued your thought. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-07-2011 13:03
Good habits, good practice, and good advice all being important however, stainless steel may experience a lot of problems, SCC for example, but hydrogen cracking is not one of them.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 12-07-2011 14:23
Hi js55

I agree that hydrogen cracking is not a problem with austenitic stainless steels, but there are a couple of issues:

1) 309 is generally used for welding S/S to C/S. High hydrogen weld metal can cause HAZ cold cracking in the C/S side of the joint.
2) Porosity is a major issue with "damp" S/S rods.

So, in general you want to make sure your S/S electrodes are nice and dry.

If these rods have been baked only once, and you do not want to use them soon again, I would package them as well as possible to prevent moisture pick-up, and then just bake them again when you need to use them. Baking at around 300 - 350°C for 1 - 2 hrs should do the trick. You do not want to do this more than twice, as the flux will start flaking off and causing hassles. (See the supplier's recommendations, as they are different between different suppliers, but should be something like this.)

If you want to use them relatively soon again, then just keep them in the rod oven at around 125 - 150°C.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SS Rod Storage