Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / digital elite
- - By chickweldor (*) Date 12-05-2011 13:21
I"ve been considering buying a miller digital elite hood,noticed in the features for the digital elite it says"manual on/auto off"does that mean you have to turn it on every time or just once before you start welding?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-05-2011 14:09
Hello chickweldor, initially before you start welding you turn it on, it will stay on for quite some time before it automatically shuts off. This feature is to save on battery life, yet it is generally quite some time before you would have to concern yourself with restarting it. You will also usually notice the shade difference from when it is on and when it is off, so you will have a heads-up to know to hit the start button again before striking an arc. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-05-2011 14:57
Check the fine print inside the Miller hood.

If it says "not intended for overhead welding"   beware..

Light weight hoods are nice and easy on the neck,  but heavy spatter and slag will burn right through some of these lightweight models..

If you are prepared to buy new shells when you do alot of overhead work... Or if you don't do much.. Than they are very nice hoods otherwise.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 12-05-2011 17:36
Lawrence has a good point.  I have seen a new Selstrom hood wiped out the first day.  The guy was using FCAW-S overhead and some spatter burned through the clear plate and into the electronics ruining it instantly.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-05-2011 18:04
From a safety standpoint...as far as I know all the electric lenses still offer uv protection even when they are off.  Now if it is turned off it will be bright so you will still get eye strain etc. kinda like looking staring at a bright light bulb.  So your eyes will not get burned if it shuts off on you...it will not shut off as long as it is being cycled every 10 minutes or so...so if its in use it will stay on.  Normally your turn one on and as long as you strike an arc in say ten minute window that will reset the shutoff timer.  I have not owned one of the Elites but it is a very good lens and hood.
- - By chickweldor (*) Date 12-05-2011 18:15
really like doing overhead welding,I'll keep my fixed shade hood handy,thanks for the input everyone.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-08-2012 22:08
Hey Chickweldor,

I missed your post and just found it so had to reply. Not sure if you've picked up a digital elite yet but if not here is my take.

I bought one last year? Think it was last year, anyhow. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the digital elite!! I have done all position welding with 7018, 6010, wire welded, tig welded, sideways welded, upside down welded and more. I picked up a 3m speedglas hood a few months ago. I wanted to try it out. It was WAY higher than the digital elite and with my cost at the supply house was just about more than I wanted to spend but had to try. The speedglas is alright, does not have a grind function and lacks several things that the Miller has. I'm actually considering selling this speedglas so I can buy another Miller. I'm not a big Miller guy but they hit it out of the park with the digital elite. The head gear is solid, it has the extra pad for the back of the head. The speedglas head gear, well, plain and simple it sucks big time. Flimsy, wobbly and just pretty poor considering its a $400+ hood.

When you turn on the hood, push the button for a second or two and it's on. It stays on for awhile, not sure how long it stays on but it won't go off in minutes. I think it's just about the best hood going, but that's just me!
Parent - - By chickweldor (*) Date 02-09-2012 13:47
had to go with a cheaper hood,but I will need a better one sometime so thanks for the advice still want the digital elite,looks awesome.(upside down welding?!Iwant to do that!)
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 02-13-2012 01:17 Edited 02-15-2012 13:28
I agree 100% with Cumminsguy. The Speedglas I have has such a flimsy head gear that when you lean over to weld the bottom of a piece of pipe it leans away from where you need to look. The Miller Elite is the best hood I've had. One thing I don't like so much about the Elite is the latching design for the clear lens. It works but a little awkward to release sometimes. I bet where it is really cold it is a problem.

Lawrence is right. The label inside the hood says not for overhead welding. That is lame Miller. It's like Rolls Royce saying their car is not for roads with pot holes.

I have welded ALL positions with my Elite. No issues. 

EXPERIENCE  will do two things for someones welding.

1. You will learn to position yourself so you can see the weld and the fire is not raining down on you.
2. You will learn (hopefully) to keep the filler metal in the weld, not flying away from it. Trust me. When I first started welding pipe with a 6010 I had burns on my arms and other places. Not an issue now. I can't remember when I last used my leathers.

Floyd
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-26-2012 01:09
"EXPERIENCE  will do two things for someones welding.

1. You will learn to position yourself so you can see the weld and the fire is not raining down on you.
2. You will learn (hopefully) to keep the filler metal in the weld, not flying away from it. Trust me. When I first started welding pipe with a 6010 I had burns on my arms and other places. Not an issue now. I can't remember when I last used my leathers."

Floyd, I cannot agree with you more! That is so true! I used to do the starch the shirt thing all the time and now I wear hooded sweatshirts, no leathers, no "welding shirts". I'll throw on a welding shirt on in the summers but winter time I wear what I wear. I have not starched a welding shirt in years.
- By saliviya jonath Date 06-02-2012 05:50
Now a days digital devices are employed in the task of welding which can self start and shut off when task is done.There are abundant devices which can perform task like digital miller but I can't say anything about it battery backup and life span.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / digital elite