Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless Steel welding wire
- - By Bondo Date 12-06-2011 23:25
I am trying to get a hold of a good .035 welding wire that comes in 10#. I was using Star Alloy 38SS but I can not get it anymore. I got some National Standard and it has like no wetting capabilities with my passport, welds ok with the invision 352 mpa.

Anyways, I have a few options at my local vendors and I was wondering who likes what for what reasons, and I am not trying to bash any brand, just looking to not spend a lot of time figuring out what works better.

Inweld
Weldco
National Standard
Harris

If there are any other wires that I can get that run good, please let me know.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 12-07-2011 04:47
i have had decent luck with the harris wire in 316L
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-07-2011 23:00
May be an inductance issue with your power source rather than the wire itself.  How did the previous wire weld?
Parent - - By Bondo Date 12-08-2011 12:50
While I was on the job I had to change out spools. The Star Alloy .035 38SS runs really smooth. But when changed to national standard .030 it ran like it was hot enough but it didn't feel like flowing to the toes.

I have ordered some 308LSi and see if that was the difference. The spool of Star Alloy was packaged fine but it said 045 and clearly wasn't. I can not find the tech specs for the star alloy so I can do a comparison between fillers.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-08-2011 14:56
You might be on the right track with regards to the additional silicon.

You listed the filler metal be its brand name. That doesn't tell you anything or very little about the composition of the filler metal. You should look at the AWS classification. Then you have something to compare. All you need to do is look at the composition of the filler matal, based on classification, in the filler metal specification. The complete break down of the chemistry ranges are listed, i.e., how much chrome, nickel, silicon, manganese, etc., is in the filler metal for each classification.

In case you are not sure, the classification would look like: ER308, ER308Si, ER308L, each having a slightly different chemical composition, but each would deposit weld having a chemistry that conforms to the AISI alloy 308. The specification for the filler metal would be listed as: AWS A5.9 or ASME SFA5.9. That specification would list all the heat and corrosion resistant filler metals such as: ER308, ER309, ER310, etc.

I suspect the difference you are noting is due to the increase or decrease in the amount of silicon in the filler metal. Increased amounts of silicon provides a "more fluid" weld pool.

Best regards -- Al
Parent - By Bondo Date 12-08-2011 19:32
Thanks guys for all your input. I appreciate it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless Steel welding wire