Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 870,000 New Jobs
- - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-07-2011 13:24
I read a interesting article on new jobs that have and will be created by the boom in gas shale drilling. While the article does not mention it, oil shale drilling is creating a whole lot of new jobs also.
A lot of the ancillary jobs like pipelines and tank construction will be temporary, but will be well paying and require a lot of welding. These facilities will require operation and maintenance which will create long term jobs.
Now a lot of these jobs will not be in places where there is infrastructure. That will cause building of houses, roads, sewer, etc in places that do not have them now.
http://247wallst.com/2011/12/06/shale-gas-industry-to-support-870000-jobs-by-2015/
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-07-2011 13:55
That would be wonderful.

But I read the same articles pertaining to the shale oil project in Parachute, CO that I worked on for two years in 1981 and went bust in May, 1982 (Black Sunday).

Hopefully with higher oil prices the shale oil industry will come back, that is if the environmentalists can be kept at bay.

QCRobert
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-07-2011 15:56
The Wolfberry and Bone Springs are oil shale.
Same with the Utica in NE Ohio and Bakkens in ND
None of this came from .gov involvement. In fact the government and major oil companies wrote off oil shale. All they had to do was point to the fiasco that went on with the Synfuels clusterduck.
Thank one man. Dave Feavel with Henry Petroleum.
http://www.mywesttexas.com/business/oil/top_stories/article_6c3d5f58-d86b-5c3d-9ab3-0cf7ebcc55a0.html
The oil shale industry IS back. It just did not happen the way .gov thought it would and plowed billions of taxpayers $$ into the scheme. Same as sun and wind energy.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-07-2011 20:24
Utica is though to be an tremendous natural gas source. Greater than Marcellus.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-07-2011 23:45
The eastern Utica may be as big as the Wolfberry. The Utica is in three parts with the eastern oil and middle and west gas shale.
A lot of pipelines going to be laid in eastern Ohio heading toward Chicago.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-07-2011 20:20 Edited 12-07-2011 20:29
The only shale oil recovery system I am aware of is that which is mined and then goes thru a "retort" process of high temperature/high pressure that literally squeezes the oil out of the oil rich shale oil.

"Oil shale can be mined and processed to generate oil similar to oil pumped from conventional oil wells; however, extracting oil from oil shale is more complex than conventional oil recovery and currently is more expensive. The oil substances in oil shale are solid and cannot be pumped directly out of the ground. The oil shale must first be mined and then heated to a high temperature (a process called retorting); the resultant liquid must then be separated and collected. An alternative but currently experimental process referred to as in situ retorting involves heating the oil shale while it is still underground, and then pumping the resulting liquid to the surface."  Google source

Back to the job with Union Oil in Parachute, Co, we use to pick up a thin piece of shale rock and literally ignite with a Bic lighter and it would burn steadily.

QCrobert
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-08-2011 00:27
Here is a article on oil shale. At the bottom it defines oil shale and shale oil. I was not aware of the difference but now know when discussing shale oil and oil shale.
http://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/the-estonian-connection-or-how-i-started-worrying-about-oil-shale#1323233726774273
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-11-2011 03:10
Oil shale is good for manufacturing plastic. That is what they are aiming to do with the shale operations in Parachute/RioBlanco County, Colorado. They are building cryogenic plants right now to do it. I have a hard time believing that they don't know what they are doing up there on that hill....
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-11-2011 03:28
I just want an 870,000 dollar job....
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-11-2011 04:37
I am just looking for a part time 50 hour gig.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-11-2011 04:40
50 hrs a night?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 870,000 New Jobs