Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Rolling direction of Weld test plate
- - By vdao3004 (**) Date 12-07-2011 15:17
I just want to know how can  I detect the rolling direction on the plate material and which direction is required for test plate which is recommended.
Thanks
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-07-2011 15:50
Hello vdao3004, very generally speaking; plate would have the grain running parallel to the long side of most pieces when shipped in master plate sizes. Bar stock is the same, the grain runs parallel to the long length. Otherwise you would need to specify when you have parts made that the grain direction needs to be identified. There are some other ways to tell grain direction, but generally these would require a testing laboratory to determine and might be rather cost prohibitive.
     Grain direction for test plates should have the groove oriented crosswise/transverse to the grain direction. Hope that helps a bit. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-07-2011 17:16
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-07-2011 18:56
Hello Lawrence, great article, thanks for including that. I am printing it as I type to add to my "Book" of odds and ends. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-07-2011 19:29
Finding the direction of roll isn't always an easy task.

Sometimes it is possible to look at the surface of the raw material and observe some striations where the rolls were worn. Sometimes there is a pattern in the mill scale that can be seen if the piece is held to the light just so. If all else fails you can polish an area and etch it with a suitable etchant and look for the grain. The grains will be elongated parallel to the direction of rolling.

I purchase materials for test plates as hot rolled bar stock to eliminate the problem. I use 8-inch by 3/8-inch, 1/2-inch, or 1-inch bar stock for my test plates. I use the 8-inch bar stock to eliminate guessing the direction of roll and it eliminates the need for run-off tabs. It ensures the welder cannot weld the entire length of the plate without a stop and start somewhere if they are testing with SMAW. I know the standard length is 5-inches per D1.1, but that is a minimum length. There is nothing wrong with using the 8-inch plate unless you are testing for New York DOT. They insist on 5-inch wide test plates.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By vdao3004 (**) Date 12-08-2011 17:57
Thanks all for guidance
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Rolling direction of Weld test plate